• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 Vixen Questions?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello all,

I am new to the Sako forum so forgive my ignorance or repeat questions.

I own three Sako Vixens and am looking for more information on them.

I posted a couple pictures to try and describe the guns. The top gun is a 223 and has a serial number of 101xxx. It has a different latch on the floorplate. It is maked Borfors Steel and has one piece sling swivels and studs. It also has a plastic grip cap and the other two do not. It also has a front sight but no rear sight on this gun.

The Middle gun is also a 223 and has a serial number of 140xxx. It is not marked Borfors Steel but has The Garcia Corp Wash DC under the barrel.

The last gun is a 222 it's serial number is 146xxx. It is also marked The Garcia Corp Wash DC under the barrel and also isn't marked Borfors Steel.

I would appreciate any information and help in understanding these guns more fully.

Thanks,

ddj

L461 Vixen Questions?
L461 Vixen Questions?
L461 Vixen Questions?
L461 Vixen Questions?

Trouthunter,

Beautiful rifles! I love the Sako Vixen, especially in .223, and have several of them.

A good place to start to answer some of your questions is the sticky section at the beginning of the Sako Collectors Forum Topics. There are "sticky" topics there covering Bofors Steel and Sako history. Also check older posts in this section covering the L461 Vixen.

I hope you will hang around and continue to share you Sako enthusiasm with us.

Welcome to the Sako Forum!

Thank you for the welcome. I have been readin old threads and learning much today. This seems like a great site with great people.

ddj

Trout: Nice rifles!

You should be especially proud of the top .223 since very few .223's were chambered prior to 1968 when the "Bofors Steel" mark was dropped. It was imported by Firearms International, but may not show an import mark since it is likely pre-1968.

Your second .223 is an "early" Garcia import, which was very similar to the FI guns except that they had quick-tach sling studs and the bluing is likely not quite as highly polished as your earlier gun.

Your .222 is a "later" Garcia as evidenced by the higher comb of its stock. Althought the muzzles don't show in the photos, I'm assuming that this gun does not have a front sight?

I see you have Conetrol mounts on your early gun and Leupold ringmouts on your later ones. Either is a great mount.

Thanks for your reply stonecreek.

I appreciate the ID on the mounts on the top gun. I bought it as is and wasn't sure what kind of mounts they were. After looking at their site, I'm not sure which grade they are?

The middle gun and lower gun don't have sights.

I love all the guns and they are exceptionally accurate. I bought 1 online and the other 2 locally at gunshows. I look forward to "collecting" a few more.

Thanks for the replys and taking time to discuss the guns with me.

ddj

I have thought about building a custom rifle on a L461 action with a light contour barrel and a nice piece of walnut.

Are these guns to "collectible" to use?

Thanks,

ddj

In my opinion, yes, too nice to tear apart. Having said that most of my Sako's wear custom barrels and some were built on mint rifles, but I bought them that way. On the ones I've had built I've always started with a donor rifle with some issues, ie shortened barrel, holes in the dovetails, non-factory stock, etc. To me yours are just too nice to start tearing apart to make a custom, doesn't mean you can't, I just wouldn't, especially in 223. Look for a 222 donor that needs some work and then go to town on it.

I would do the custom with the S491 or the AI ( preferably the later) Very good rifles but not to the wild- eyed accumulation point of collecting, yet-Misako

Thanks for the replys.

I am new and am sorry for asking but what is a L491 or AII?

Why would they be better than a L461?

I really like the Vixen actions and think they are the best for the 222 or 223 actions.

ddj

The A1 is basically the L461 with a slanted cocking shroud, for all purposes it's the same. Later in the model run there were some minor stock changes. The L491 is a larger/beefier action in diameter than the L461/A1, actually nothing about the L491 is like it's earlier predecessors. I've got one in a 223 custom that gets a lot of time in the PD fields. Of the 3, ie L461-A1-L491, I like the A1 the best for it's smaller diameter and sleeker profile, regardless they're all in demand. I'm not convinced that one is better than the other and as long as your not tearing apart a Deluxe/FS/HB to get your action for a build it's more personal preference.

Trout- My bad for the confusion. I meant S (for small)491 and AI (for small) actions. I am having a hell of a time getting my answers to post. CMJR did a fine job as usual. If I don't miss my guess, I think the bottom metal is a two piece and the recoil lug is removable on the S491 also. My fave is the AI.-Misako

Misako - No problem. I am so new and unknowledgable that I didn't know you had mistyped! :)

Thanks Guys! I appreciate all the help. I am thinking of building a custom 222 or 6x45 on a Sako. I think these are the slickest cutest little actions.

Does anyone have any experience with the 6x45 on a Vixen?

I had thought about a 204 Ruger but think it might be a bit long for the Vixen.

Thanks again,

ddj

Nah, the .204 should fit just fine in an L461/A-I. I have a couple of .222 Magnum L461's and although some very long bullets have to seat a bit deep, the .204 bullets are pretty short and should be no problem. 6x45 is okay so long as you don't intend to shoot heavy bullets. I think that John Wooter's original .25 Copperhead (.25/222) was built on an L461. I've always admired that little cartridge.

Maybe Kevinig will chime in here with some advice. That guy's got more custom L461's than you can shake a stick at.

"I appreciate the ID on the mounts on the top gun. I bought it as is and wasn't sure what kind of mounts they were. After looking at their site, I'm not sure which grade they are?"

In answer to your question I'd say these were the "Custum" grade bases, althought the grub screws are usually stainless on these. The 2 lower grade Conetrols lack the radiused edges and corners. The rings are either "Gunnur" or " Custum" grade. The "Custum" has a tiny lock screw to hold the ring halves together which can only be seen with the rings out of the bases.

Great mounts btw, I have several pairs. Light, trim and extremely strong. They are fiddly to set up though and if you ever take them off be sure to keep the components of each ring together as they are machined as a matched set.

You have some beautiful Sakos there.

As the maximum over-all cartridge length, to feed through the magazine, is about 2.280"......I feel that the L461/AI action is a tad too short for the 204 Ruger round. That is, unless you seat the bullet way off the lands....or have a really short throat, although I'm not sure even that would be enough.

I've a 17-222 Magnum that has to be 0.150" off-the-lands, in order to properly function through the magazine box.

Attached pic is of a 204R versus 222 Magnum....both bullets are 40 grain.
Hope this helps....

Kevin
L461 Vixen Questions?

Back