• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 .222 twist ??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Pastprime

The few posts I've read here state that the twist rate for the L461 .222 is 1 in 14. Is that the only twist they were produced in? Also, is N-133 a good powder for the .222 cartridge?

Sako barrels were made with a metric twist which doesn't usually work out to exactly an even number of inches per turn, but most Sako .222 barrels were about 1-14". Some very early L46's used the same barrel as the Hornet, which was about 1-16", and some later ones may have used a twist similar to those of the .223 which measures approximately 1-13".

There are many, many good powders for the .222. Although I've never used N133, its burning rate falls closely in line with other powders which are excellent for the .222, so I would expect it to do very well. The Vhitavouri powders I've used in other applications have been consistent performers.

Thank you for the reply. I have reloaded for quite a few years but never for the .222 Remington or a Sako rifle. I'll keep reading the posts on this site for that magic load formula.

It's hard to come up with a "bad" load for a Sako .222. Just don't try to use extremely long or heavy bullets which weren't around when the .222 came about. If you'll keep your loads similar to the original factory load with a 50 grain bullet at about 3200 fps then they will usually shoot well. My Sako .222's do very well with the relatively inexpensive Speer 50 grain TNT bullet propelled by a charge of H335, H4895, or H4198. Accurate 2200 Data powder also does well. But then there are at least a dozen other powders which will perform equally well.

If you like higher velocities the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady V-Max plastic-tipped 40 grain bullets are typically very accurate and can be driven 3500 fps or better out of the .222. They are deadly on small varmints and often yield some of the best accuracy from the bench.

Latest posts

Back