• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

HOWA Golden Bear

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

reclino

I found and bought a HOWA Golden Bear a few weeks ago. Very interesting rifle, needs a few parts to get it back in running order. The barrel is pitted pretty bad, so I am looking for a replacement 30-06 to fit the L61R action. The bolt stop/ejector pin and housing is broken, so I am looking for one of them as well.
The wood stock looked plain and boring, with a poorly fitted hard rubber but pad, the grip cap and fore end cap (rosewood) also seemed to have missed the finish sanding step. I got out some 320 grit and proceeded to blend things in.... Not long after I began sanding some really pretty grain started showing up, I am almost sure the Japanese applied stain to the grain to blend it in with the rest of the stock, I have no other explanation for it. The stock now looks great. Anyway if anyone can point me in the direction of some parts for this rifle it would help out alot.
Thanks
David

Ah! The Dickson-Howa Golden Bear!

Stories abound on this Finnbear duplicate. Which of them are true I can't say. All I can say for sure is that the gun is a dimesional exact duplicate of the L61R Finnbear, right down to the contours of the stock. The safety thumb slide is a tad different in shape, and the bottom metal is entirely different, being aluminum with an integral magazine box. Otherwise, they seem identical. I have one and the bolt will interchange with a three-lug Sako as if they were made side-by-side on the same assembly line.

They were imported for only a couple of years until -- apparently -- a patent infringement suit took them off of the market. I have only seen them in .30-06. My "holy grail" would be a factory Howa Golden Bear in some other caliber. By the way, I have no notion as to where the name "Dickson" came from. Howa is still making quality firearms, both under their own name and for others like Weatherby.

I took mine to Africa as back-up rifle and actually used it to take a couple of head of game. It is not quite as accurate as most of my Sakos, but is a very serviceable rifle.

So far as I am aware, any Sako barrel would screw into your action. You could use anything from a .25-06 to a .270 or an original .30-06. There was actually a guy on Gunbroker a few months ago with a new D-H barrel for sale, but he wanted more than it seemed worth.

PM me about the parts you need. I might be able to help.

Latest posts

Back