• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Help valuing my AV Finnbear Deluxe chambered in .338 win mag?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello all,

I just bought a left handed Sako AV Finnbear Deluxe chambered in 7mm rem mag and am looking to part with my AV Finnbear Deluxe chambered in .338 win mag as I no longer need it. The 338 is in immaculate condition (no dings or scratches). I’ve attached a picture here to give some sense of the color of the wood. I have seen these go online from ~$1800-2400. I will sell it with the scope (Redfield 3-9x). I bought it for 2k a couple years ago. Any ideas on what it might be worth now?

Thanks in advance,
Peach

Attachments

• Help valuing my AV Finnbear Deluxe chambered in .338 win mag?
    IMG_8935.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: ERP
I have seen these go online from ~$1800-2400.
More accurately, you have seen these OFFERED online in that price range. There is almost always a significant difference in what the 95% of guns offered online are priced at and what they actually sell for. Most auctions on Gunbroker never attract the minimum bid set by their starry-eyed sellers.

Larger calibers like the .338 are generally a bit less liquid and sell slower than smaller calibers. In Sakos, .338's are not uncommon, so there is no premium like some calibers (.25-06, 7x64, etc.) will bring.

A rifle and scope sold separately will usually net more money than when sold as a package, so you may want to consider that.

As to the current market, if you placed it on an auction site like Gunbroker with a minimum bid of $1,500 there is a chance that by the end of a week you might not have a bid. That's not to say that it isn't worth that much or more, just that a slower-moving rifle may require some patience to sell. By the way, don't make the mistake of pointlessly placing a "reserve" on it. Bidders want to know that if they have the high bid they are going to own the rifle.

Sadly, 338s are slow as molasses to sell. I think you'd be doing good to get your money out of it. There was a 308 deluxe with knockout wood on it that went off a week ago for less than 1600. Things have slowed down lately. Maybe wait til September.

Sadly, 338s are slow as molasses to sell. I think you'd be doing good to get your money out of it. There was a 308 deluxe with knockout wood on it that went off a week ago for less than 1600. Things have slowed down lately. Maybe wait til September.
Unfortunately all the classic cartridges are slower to sell. The wiz-bang new generation stuff is taken hold of the starry eyed folks who’ve forgotten where the industry came from. Add in the economy, inflation, etc. and it simply is cause followed by effect.

Unfortunately 2k a couple of years ago most likely will not result in any sort of profit today-in these times.

Agree-it is a beautiful rifle.

It's currently a buyers market, and have seen some rare/unusual stuff come up for sale. I bought a Winchester 97 in 12 gauge in very good condition from a pawn shop for $300 bones.

Back