• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Grendel SRT A11 Sako 308

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I have a Sako A11 rifle that is in a grendel stock. Can anyone tell me about this rifle; it has a bull barrel and the barrel is over 22 inches long. I was trying to set up a long range rifle and this is what I have to start with. Can you tell me if my project is worth the trouble, or should I try something else. Thanks !

preston326 said:
I have a Sako A11 rifle that is in a grendel stock. Can anyone tell me about this rifle; it has a bull barrel and the barrel is over 22 inches long. I was trying to set up a long range rifle and this is what I have to start with. Can you tell me if my project is worth the trouble, or should I try something else. Thanks !

preston326:
The Grendal rifles that I know just a little bit about are purpose built for long range accurate shooting so there probably isn't much left to do except adjusting the trigger like you want it & finding the ammo or handload it prefers. The 308 is a good cartridge to say 600 to 800 yards, but if you are thinking 1000 yard + stuff one of the 300 or 338 mags is what those guys are shooting.

Thank you very much, this grendel is a sako a11 308; the only thing that I could not understand is the folding stock. I hope it doesn't hamper me from shooting. Thanks again.

preston- You may need to consult with others that are into "Longrange Shooting". The next thing on the agenda would be an appropriate scope for the distances mentioned. A good old 3X9 or even a 4X16 isn't enough scope for those ranges.Hopefully someone will come by this thread and give a hand.-Misako.

Preston,
OK, fair enough. I think you are going to have your work cut out for you with a .308 over 600 yards, but you sound like you may have had some training . At those ranges you'll still have a lot of calculations to do with a .300 Win Mag or .338 Win mag. Those aren't mega-shooters. great hunting rounds though - I have a couple of each. If you want to talk real long range, you have to find a cartridge that can push your projectile to maintain supersonic speeds at least to and beyond 1,300 yards. Bullet weight and rate of twist of the barrel are a real factor when you get out there in that country as far as accuracy and eliminating tumble ( key holing).
I don't know what kind of experience you have, but some type of ballistics computer would be helpful. Actually, "There's an App for that"!.:bigsmile3: A couple of them. For the Geek Sniper:wink2:
At this point since you already have the rifle, I'd start digging into ballistics tables to find out which bullets are going to get you an optimization of what may work best for you at the ranges you want.
You scope is within a decent power range, but the reticle it has will make a big difference as well. On my long gun I went from a Zeiss 6x25x56, to a Night Force, 12x42x56, and then down a notch to a Night Force 8x32x56 due to FOV reasons.
I found some rather nice pictures of your rifle on the attached link. Some captions will tell everyone more about it. Let us know how things work out. Cool looking piece of machinery.
Regards, S-A http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2900/2923.htm

As far as shooting "long range" is concerned it depends on whether you want to compete in local comps or throw lead at water jugs and feral pigs. Shooting at jugs and pigs, your ready to go, develop a load or find a factory round you like and go shoot. To realize the most from the barreled action you have in a competitive arena you will need a stock that will set up in a set of bags and ride them correctly. As for glass anything under 36-45 power will put you at a big disadvantage. This is only important if you want to be competitive, the stock and glass you have will suffice if you want to participate. There is the problem, I don't know anyone that wants to enter a comp and not be competitive. Too many times I see new shooters show up with their Tacticool 308's, bipods and belly mats, just to go "Oh crap!", they feel like they've brought a knife to a gun fight. Most of your distances are going to be around 400-600yds with 1000 yd rifles being a different animal all together. I shoot a lot of local 4-600 shoots in the North Texas and Oklahoma area, I can't remember when I've seen a 308 near the top 10 much less in it. We shoot through wind and mirage and right now the 6.5-284 is the gorilla in the room, fast and flat. Even the 338 Lapuas, when allowed(30cal max) can't knock them off the top. If you compete in long range events, this is what you'll see when you go to the line. Viper RBLP, McMillan stock, Krieger 30", Jewell, boosted Leupold around 52X. Jugs and pigs or comps?

cmjr,
I'd like to have a paint job like that on my car! Very sweet. What rate of twist do you have? Is that the "Gorilla"? 123 gr.? I was going to have JB at Accuflite do a build for me on the 6.5-284, but I blew my funds on a not much seen SAKO in an auction. Oh, well.
S-A

Cmjr...that is a slick lookin' machine right there....."I don't care where yer from"... Post some target pics so we can appreciate it for its abilities! (or yours)- Bloo

Or both:bigsmile3:.
How about some of you other .308 shooters give Preston some pluses and more information on any events or shoots in that class?
S-A

I have shot "long range" match most of my life. The 308 is more than capable of getting good repeatable results at 1000-1200 yards. The only thing limiting you is your skill level and the choice of using a scope over metal target peep sights. I personally wouldn't use a scope at that range, but thats me.
I don't know much about the grendel rifles, however try it and see how you do. Just FYI, when you start reloading DO NOT try to keep up with the 300 Mags and 338 LM's in velocity, you will kill yourself and whoever is near you. Just stick to moderate 308 loads and you will be fine, it does not have to scream to get there, just be consistent.
Sadly America is just starting to get into the "long range" mindset. Britain and Australia...and most of the old commonwealth countries have been shooting this sort of thing for longer than most people can remember. It used to be shot (out to 1000 yards) with 303's and they can still be competitive in the right hands too! Have fun and work on your ability to read wind, light, and mirage.

As for your rifle. I just did a little reading up on the Grendel SRT. Looks like a decent rifle, has a good douglas barrel on it, and there is nothing wrong with that Sako action. I think that if you are going to get serious about match shooting it may need rehousing in a better stock...but again, thats just me. Try it and see what you think. Just FYI, 308's and synthetic stocks never worked well for me, gave me a headache after a while on the range.

SA, the barrel on this rifle is a 1-8" twist 30" 1.25 straight taper. It's set up as a switch barrel and is chambered in 6.5-284 shooting a 139gr Lapua Scenar. The second barrel is basically the same contour and twist chambered in a 6x47Lapua, shooting a 107SMK. I've put a lot of wood on the wall with the 6x47L but I'm just tired having to work twice as hard to do it.

cmjr,
Good for you, and I understand there does come a point. The Lapua Scenar is my bullet of choice with the SMK right behind it. I've shot most of those in my inventory now.. That 6.5 of yours is "beefy". Maybe I'll think of a trade with someone who has one that's been well done after my "international adventure" is done.LOL.

Latest posts

Back