• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Ever seen a Vixen stock like this?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

It is an unaltered factory original stock. But not for a L461. It's a L579, or L57 stock. Ask me how I know!

Last edited:
I take it you bought it for your 461 project and its too big. Still doesn't look like a factory Sako stock.

I take it you bought it for your 461 project and its too big. Still doesn't look like a factory Sako stock.
I did buy it. It is an early factory stock, and probably for a L57, though a L579 receiver drops in nicely. Could tell on the website that the inletting was too long for a L461. Either way, I gained, because I need a stock for a L579 build also. This one is in pretty good shape too. A few dings, but nothing ugly. It'll make a nice stock for a short barreled, iron sighted 358 Win I'm going to build.

It is an unaltered factory original stock. But not for a L461. It's a L579, or L57 stock. Ask me how I know!
Okay, I'll bite: How do you know? It certainly does not have factory checkering, and although it may have a Sako buttplate (can't really tell from the photos), that could have come from another stock. It is possible that it started out as a factory stock and has been significantly modified, but what evidence do you have of this?

Okay, I'll bite: How do you know? It certainly does not have factory checkering, and although it may have a Sako buttplate (can't really tell from the photos), that could have come from another stock. It is possible that it started out as a factory stock and has been significantly modified, but what evidence do you have of this?
Except for the action inlet length, it's identical to two L46 stocks I have.

Could it be from one of the L57's that Sako made to be sold under other names (Sears, Wards, Colt, etc.)? That would explain the oddball checkering. Or possibly an unfinished factory part that somebody custom checkered and finished?

Except for the action inlet length, it's identical to two L46 stocks I have.
That's not evidence that it is a Sako factory stock, that's conjecture! Dozens of companies sold rifles built on Sako actions that were not barreled & stocked at the Sako factory. I believe the stock pictured (as well as your L46 stocks) is one of those & did not come from Finland.

His finished products are not going to be any where near a Sako collectible so debating about the source of the stocks is kind of mute. Knowing it will be a real piece of wood and not tupperware seems like a plus to me.

Could it be from one of the L57's that Sako made to be sold under other names (Sears, Wards, Colt, etc.)? That would explain the oddball checkering. Or possibly an unfinished factory part that somebody custom checkered and finished?
Icebear, it very well could be. It'd be interesting to find out.

Ranger: You stated something as a fact and invited people to "ask me how I know". Some found the factuality of the statement to be questionable and took you up on your invitation for further evidence. Someone suggested that there was a probable alternative to what you stated as fact, and you agreed, saying "Icebear, it very well could be."

So I think we all find it both ironic as well as extremely discourteous to criticize another member for pointing out that the information you provided as to "how you knew" to be inconclusive, after which you admitted as much in your response to Icebear.

When you state something on this forum as fact we don't take it lightly, because inaccuracies stated as fact often propagate confusion and misinformation. Discovering Sako factory stock with a previously unknown configuration and unseen checkering pattern would be a very big deal to most Sako enthusiasts. Please be more careful, as well as considerate, in the future.

Ranger: You stated something as a fact and invited people to "ask me how I know". Some found the factuality of the statement to be questionable and took you up on your invitation for further evidence. Someone suggested that there was a probable alternative to what you stated as fact, and you agreed, saying "Icebear, it very well could be."

So I think we all find it both ironic as well as extremely discourteous to criticize another member for pointing out that the information you provided as to "how you knew" to be inconclusive, after which you admitted as much in your response to Icebear.

When you state something on this forum as fact we don't take it lightly, because inaccuracies stated as fact often propagate confusion and misinformation. Discovering Sako factory stock with a previously unknown configuration and unseen checkering pattern would be a very big deal to most Sako enthusiasts. Please be more careful, as well as considerate, in the future.
Stone, you and the other guy both, in a not so subtle manner, suggested I had an integrity problem. That's where I pulled the plug. Again, I'm not here to fight. I'm just here to share. It seems your objective here is to stir up contention. If that's so, please let me know, and I'll gladly leave the site to you.

When he said "probably" I did not see anywhere that he was stating it as "fact".
And yes, I missed my NCAA basketball.

Stone, you and the other guy both, in a not so subtle manner, suggested I had an integrity problem. That's where I pulled the plug. Again, I'm not here to fight. I'm just here to share. It seems your objective here is to stir up contention. If that's so, please let me know, and I'll gladly leave the site to you.
Everything you said about us you should view in a mirror. No one questioned your "integrity". Your sensitivity level if off the charts & your name calling & poor manners were totally uncalled for. The only one contentious is YOU & all you seem to do is FIGHT. The only thing you have shared so far is your arrogance. All anyone did was suggest that your analysis of the stock may be in error & try to figure out what it exactly is. Your braggadocios claims were exposed & your ego was dinged, so you lashed out, as those with fragile egos & poor communication skills always do. Your offer to gladly leave is gladly excepted. Not sure what happened to the post where you denigrated me for no reason. Wish it had been left up so others could judge for themselves.
Sincerely,
The Other Guy

Latest posts

Back