• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Can anyone help with pistol information?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I recently picked up this 6mmPPC sako and have been trying to get some more information about it. So far I've been able to establish the following from another gentleman who has on in 6mmTCU:
"It was designed by Steve Herrett and Toney Barnes, and was completely
hand made by Toney. Built from an action in the white in 1992/93, Toney
made the trigger from scratch, hand shaped and inletted the exhibition
stock and put well over 250 hours into each pistol. Toney made a total
of 32 of them, and Steve's son Rod Herrett made 5 out of the remaining
actions."
"Only other one I've even seen belonged to Bill Ruger
(Sturm, Ruger & Co) and was featured on the cover of a gun magazine
many years ago."
Subsequently, I called Rod Herrett on Friday,
April 3 and had a nice conversation with him. He confirmed everything
that I had previously discovered and said that the stock had 30 coats
of oil on it. He said that he still had 4 of the pistols and liked
hearing about where the others ended up. He gave me another name to
followup with (Wayne Wymer?), but I havent had any luck yet.
Any additional information would be appreciated.
683289_pis1-1.jpg

Would seem to me as a "custom" job built off a Sako action??? I once had a 6mmPPC, but never heard of one in a pistol.

I would be very interested in hearing others input.

Rifles with the shoulder stock missing have always seemed rather pointless to me. The work is obviously very high quality, but for my tastes it is a great underutilization of a Sako action. But thanks for showing us as it has a very interesting history.

Here is another "pointless underulitization" 7mm-08 Sako of mine that will shoot just as good or if not better than most factory sakos. Kinda like riding a bike without training wheels.
face-devilish.png

octagon031-3.jpg

I always wondered how the triggers would set up with one of "those". Now I know. I find it more of an art form when they begin to look like the quality that shows in those two "short rifles". I live in a state that is nearly devoid of good old vintage sakos and something like this is a feast for my eyes and tastes. If you wish to avoid having them cast into a firepit and destroyed,You may send them to me for safekeeping until we have a regime change. I'll take good care of them, but know this-- They will not be allowed to shoot better than my sakos.- Misako

Joe,

What's with the "Wayne Wymer"? Is he the original owner it was built for or is it a name I also should be trying to run down for some reason? I know who the original owner of mine was FWIW.

Larry

Here's the 6TCU...
sakop.jpg

stonecreek said:
Rifles with the shoulder stock missing have always seemed rather pointless to me. The work is obviously very high quality, but for my tastes it is a great underutilization of a Sako action. But thanks for showing us as it has a very interesting history.
Opinons (and tastes) vary - nothing wrong with that. I have been a very avid aficionado of specialty pistols since the late 60's, especially for all types of hunting and long range varmint shooting. They amount to being short rifles of sorts. Their only real limiting factor is the EER/IER optics availble for them when the ranges get very long, and you can get around that on the lighter recoiling calibers by using rifle scopes. Many of mine will better almost any factory rifle and equal most custom rifles for the types of hunting/shooting I do.

onegoodshot, ladobe,
I thought your posts were of interest to this forum. I own several Sako rifles, old and new. (Winchester's and Remington's, too. Military and sporting alike) I also own several pistols, including a scoped .500 S&W Magnum revolver which I dropped a moose with at 110 yards (which is no big feat). Not exactly long range varmit hunting. More like target practice on a parked pick-up truck. After I saw your pictures I have to admit I went on an internet search to see if I could find one. I used to shoot an M14, then w/NM upgrade because I had to (damn Marines had the M40). It did the job, even though I had my personal preferences. Anyway, personal preferences aside, I wouldn't mind having a pistol like these for myself. Because I shoot both rifle and pistols, I think this would be an interesting comparison and I don't ever underestimate what another marksman can do. History has given us many underutilized actions. The M16 "poodle shooter" was a great example.
Thank you for sharing these great pieces and attesting to their ballistic functionality. I enjoyed it.
S-A

bobcat022.jpg

This gun is my prized posession and I take extraordinary care of it, but it is no safe queen.
I took it to a shoot in May and 5-6 different shooters got one shot each at 200yds and all but 1 were inside 2".
This 8pt was on the receiving end of the 6ppc on opening morning.

onegoodshot,
Your screen name represents you well. I know of a shop in PA where you can have these custom made. I've long thought about it. I know they are accurate as hell.
If that is built from a Sako action, put that picture in our trophy section. It is worthy.
S-A

Latest posts

Back