• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Best "all around" powder?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bloorooster

The Old Hippie
Hello everyone! I have more time on my hands now since work has slowed and its time to start my reloading project.
The cartridges I'll be working with are .222 rem, .222 rem mag, .243 win, .308 win and .270 win....starting with the triple deuce (.222 rem). I don't need to split hairs just yet while I will be getting the feel for everything...My question is...Is there a powder that I can start with that will do well across the entire selection shown here? I would like to keep things as simple as possible at first...Thanks in advance for every ones help!

Cheers

Bloo

There are several powders that will do well in the .222, .223, and .308, but I wouldn't recommend them in the .243 and .270. However, the same powders will do for both the .243 and .270, so you'll only need two powders to cover your entire range of reloading.

For the first set of cartridges I would suggest any of the following: H335, H BL-C2, H or IMR 4895. There are others that will work equally well, but these are my favorites.

For the .243 and .270, my favorite would be H-4831; however if you anticipate shooting varmint bullets as light as 70 grains in the .243 you might want to use any of the 4350 powders. RL-19 and RL-22 also do well in these cartridges.

While it is possible to use a single powder in all of them, it will necessarily either be on the slow side for the first three, or on the fast side for the second two. So I highly recommend going with two different powders. After all, there are only about 120-125 .270 loads in a 1-lb cannister of powder, so you'll need more than a pound pretty quickly, anyway.

When you find a favorite powder you can always buy a keg. Its not just for Beer :beerchug2:

Thanks Stone...Why no IMR 4895 for the .243?...The book shows it as kinda middle of the road performance wise(for heavy bullets in .243)...I could not find any loads that called for it in .270 win

When loading heavier bullets in the .243 (95-105 grains), the loading density of 4895 is pretty low -- that is, there is a lot of space left in the case that the powder doesn't take up. Low loading density usually contributes to higher shot-to-shot velocity spreads and less accuracy. Low load densities with powders that are on the fast side for a cartridge also make it subject to pressure spikes when you get up near maxium working pressures. And in the end, 4895 will typically be 100-150 fps short of the velocities that you can generate with a slower powder like H4831 or RL-22. With all of that said, it should be noted that 4895, in both the Hodgdon and IMR versions, tends to be a more docile powder in its burning range and is better adapted to low loading densities than most others. If you can live with a little less velocity and can be careful about working up to maximum acceptable pressures, 4895 can and will provide pretty decent loads with heavy bullets in a .243. With lighter bullets, it can be the cat's whiskers. I've used it with the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, an application where it is near perfect. And it wouldn't fall far behind slower powders with even 70 and 80 or 85 grain bullets.

But if you need some H4831, RL-22, or IMR 4350 or the like for your .270, why bother with the 4895 in your .243?

Hello Bloo. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one enjoying some winter time catching up on my reloading. I just finished cleaning about 300 cases of about 6 calibers. Almost ready to charge and seat. Waiting for a quiet no company day to finish the joyful chore. I am loading mostly the same calibers that you are working with. I don't know of any one or two powders that would begin to cover those that you mention. I have over the years become partial to Vihta Vuori powder. I have found it to be more consistent for cleaner burning, accuracy and velocity and I use it whenever possible even if I need to vary bullet weight. Sometimes using lighter bullets gains velocity and flatter trajectory with minimal loss of energy. It has been a very rewarding hobby that I have enjoyed for more than 50 years. It is always enjoyable to find the sweet load for another Sako that you have adopted. I even enjoy helping my friends find good loads for their rifles but I hate it when they outshoot me. I was recently astounded to have a friend tune a load for his Sako 7MM Rem Mag that consistently places 12" 3 shot groups at 900 yards with Berger bullets. Blows my mind! Waiting to hear how that .222 shoots for you. Have fun. sakojim.

Hey Sakojim and thanks for your input. I will be starting soon and look forward to learning more about the tricks of this reloading business and shooting better groups in the process.
I posted a little "range report" on my Riihimaki .222 not to long ago. I ended up with a half inch group (avg) on a very gusty day...What a great lil' rifle!

Thanks again for your advise!- Bloo

Last edited:
Bloo- You might be thinking about buying some lottery tickets, sometime soon.-Misako

No...actually I was thinking about all of Woodman's Sako's, being freshly cleaned and lubricated by Playboy Bunnies in my living room, sometime soon...but you've interrupted that train of thought with the lottery!:thinking:-Bloo

Well guys...I doubt if this will be the best all around powder, I chose to start with Varget, loading 20 rounds of .243 win in 5 round increments starting with 33 grs, 34 grs, 34.5 grs, and 35 grs. I believe this is on the low side for a Nosler 95gr Ballistic tip....I'm off to the range to test....If I don't return by the end of the day....Stonecreek and Misako can have all my Sako's...:fencing:but they will have to wrestle to see who gets what! -Bloo

Not bad!

2012-02-09 14.05.44.jpg

The tightest groups came from brass that weighed the same, all brass was 2.043" ,COAL was 2.765" with the Nolser B-tips..I used my forester varmint as the test rifle
there was no signs of overpressure....the 35 gr loads show real promise, I wish the brass on the last two shots had been the same weight as the first three shots...174 gr. x 3, then 175gr. and last was 176 gr. this is the average weight range for all this F C brass I am working with...I have some WW brass but it all needs trimmed, don't have a trimmer yet...Like I said I am just getting started...but it sure is fun!

Does anyone have any pet loads using Varget and 95-100 pills? - Bloo

Last edited:
Bloo-you could use varget . i have not used it in .222 only I4198. varget does awsome in the 222 mag, 243 and 308. i have not loaded it in 270. used it to kill a 750 pound 6X6 elk out of 30-06.

In general, fast burning powders for small cases, light bullets; slow powders for larger cases, heavier bullets. One fits all usually does not work. I love Varget - use it in .223, .243, 6BR, and .308. That would be my choice for some calibers, but not .270.

Hi Bloo

One powder I use over here in oz covers a lot of calibres its called ADI AR2206H and am lead to believe in the US is known as Hodgdon H4895. I use it in my .222, .223, .17/222, 7-30 waters, .308, .270, .30-06 and .375. If you want loading data for all these cals in this powder see a reloading manual by an Australian guy named Nick Harvey. See http://www.hawkbullets.com/harvey.htm Its not optimum for all these cals but does get the job done. Rather than push something faster or harder I just step up a calibre if I need more performance. The only thing I couldn't use it for was my hornet and use ADI AR2205 which I believe is h4227 in the US.

Hope this is useful.

regards John

No such thing as a "all round powder" hence the importance of a powder burn chart. Best powder applications will be determined by case capacity+bulllet weight+barrel twist but that doesn't mean you can't get something to shoot that is less than optimal. As a rule most guys that shoot a 243 will tell you that Varget is too fast with the 95-105 weight pills, not giving you the load density you will need for consistent accuracy. It does do well with the 58-75gr pills producing some nice speeds. The Extreme powders from Hodgdon, ie Varget is one, are great for areas where there are big temp swings and they are favorites of PD shooters because of the heat we shoot in. I shoot several 243's including wildcats off that case and in the heavy bullet chamberings I shoot either IMR4350 or H4350. I've tried to stray from that but always come back.

I have never really found a "accurate" or bench rest type powder. I have loaded thousands of rounds of ammo 90% killing paper.... I look for a powder that fills the case with the upper end of load data then if you plan to load in bulk I would suggest a ball type powder and a powder measure, if not loading bulk then any powder type will be just fine. A couple of powders that I remember working well for me are BLC-2, Reloader 10, Reloader 15, Varget.

Above all load data from a powder/bullet manufacture and work up slow.... Lots of time spent by manufactures giving load data which I trust will also show the best powder choices as well. I would much rather have two or three powders in my reloading inventory than one powder... Also many times a cartridge tends to be accurate such as 222 rem, 243 win etc the 222 rem is easiest cartridge I ever loaded, if your gun is accurate it's hard not to pick a powder/bullet combo from the reloading charts and it not just shoot.

Way more important than powder is your bullet seating depth, that's where you can do some tuning to improve accuracy. As for powder being accurate your not looking so much for powder, but for speed and nodes, once you find a good load if you chronograph it find the speed many times you can repeat the results using another combo once you get in the same velocity range.

My mentor told me years ago that the best loads are often ones where the case is full to the start of the shoulder, and bullets are seated to the bottom of the neck. This leaves a tiny air space. My boat tail bullets actually are seated slightly deeper. I've tweaked loads after using this as a good starting point. Most often IMR 4350, 4320 in the larger cases, and in 222, 223, 22-250 I've used BLC2 and 748. I'll post actual tested loads for .243 Sako's and they should work ok. I've a few friends that I started with these loads and they say they've never been able to find a better load. Most bullets going through the same hole.

Latest posts

Back