• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Article on Finnish Sniper in the Winter War

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member

Hopefully this link will work. I have no idea how accurate the article is, but thought others might enjoy reading about a famed sniper in the Finland's Winter War with Russia, 1939-40.

Hopefully this link will work. I have no idea how accurate the article is, but thought others might enjoy reading about a famed sniper in the Finland's Winter War with Russia, 1939-40.
Thanks! a nice read.

Good read. I don't think it was in his nature to embellish his kills as he wanted his commanders to have a proper Idea of what they were up against at all times. Others who fought alongside him also intimated that Simo was too proud to count anyone he hadn't deliberately killed with a rifle, and that many more probably fell to his use of other weapons he had to employ with the fast pace of the actions he was in.

I find-it ironic that he was left in a body pile after his injury. My father's, great-grandfather, was a mercenary in The Crimea and came-under shelling at dawn while still in a tent. he threw his britches on and jumped on a horse and was cut-down in a charge, only, he wasn't hit directly, the mounted guy next to him got hit with a cannon ball and the viscera of that guy and his horse blew my great-relative out-of the saddle. Covered in bits of someone else, and unconscious, they threw-him onto the body pile.. When he regained consciousness, it was dark, and he wriggled his way out of the corpses and made his way back to the encampment where the other Finnish-Speaking mercenaries were sitting around the fire.

Assuming he was a ghost, they were terrified but soon realized it was him, literally "In the flesh". By firelight they explained that looking at him; his britches, which normally tied in the back, were at his front, so, they assumed the cannon ball had spun him around. He was in such a hurry, he had hurriedly thrown the britches on backwards to get-out of the tent in the dark and onto a horse. The heat of battle makes strange things seem to make sense I guess.

His particular issued rifle was a Sako m/28-30 from 1933 that retained its early m/28 front sight. Those rifles are very hard to find with that early sight still intact, as the vast majority were upgraded for the much better screw adjustable sight.

His particular issued rifle was a Sako m/28-30 from 1933 that retained its early m/28 front sight. Those rifles are very hard to find with that early sight still intact, as the vast majority were upgraded for the much better screw adjustable sight.
I have two of the early (no date marking) m/28-30 rifles, both of which have the upgraded sights. I also have an m/28 that was upgraded with 28-30 sights, including the improved front.

Simo Häyhä must have had amazing eyesight to make the long-range shots that he did.

I had a rifle like his up until recently, and from a neighboring Civil Guard in Viipuri area. I sold it because it had been counterbored and the barrel was mostly shot out. That original front sight definitely made for more rapid target acquisition which I think he must’ve liked. And I agree, he would’ve had to have had exceptional eye sight.

The Unknown Soldier movie (Finnish) on YouTube is a well made, entertaining movie about the Winter War. The subtitles were not distracting (to me at least).

I have two of the early (no date marking) m/28-30 rifles, both of which have the upgraded sights. I also have an m/28 that was upgraded with 28-30 sights, including the improved front.

Simo Häyhä must have had amazing eyesight to make the long-range shots that he did.
I've heard tales, not necessarily only about Simo, but I think there was someone in the continuation war that cranked a Soviet officer at 1000 , just for spite. I am going to have to dig that-up but I can't remember if that was scoped or not. There was a static line of slit trenches and some sniper rode-up with his Reindeer in a snowstorm and hunkered-down with the animal for just the one shot.
Other favorite lore is about the train-load of Stalin's, Ski-Shield, units that got shot in the legs and buttocks by a team of Finnish snipers up-in the trees, Molotov cried Foul to the Red-Cross for such inhumane and demoralizing tactics. There were 253 soldiers on one train, all shot in the legs and buttocks.

Latest posts

Back