• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A2 bolt grub screw

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigjack

Firing pin assembly.
There is a grub screw on the underside of the bolt shroud which ensures the firing pin spring is kept in place.
On mine someone has tried to drill out the grub screw and failed.

I had taken it to a smith who could not drill out the grub screw as he said it was hardened as hard as the drill.
Talked about spark erosion as well.

It is a small diameter screw.

I have been using the gun for the past 5 years with no problem

Should I try someone else or leave it?

bigjack, since no one else has answered your question here is what I think . The only reason you would need to remove the pin/screw would be to make a firing pin adjustment or replace the spring. That said, if it works don't fix it. Sako made changes to the bolt shroud/sleeve in the late 70/s which carried over to the A series and I believe that the use of a screw to lock the firing pin adjustment was changed to a pin. I have in my hand an AI bolt and it does not have any slot or provision for removal with a screw driver/allen wrench. This rifle was purchased new and is original. I can't tell you how to take that pin out but I would like to know myself. The earlier bolts used a screw to hold the firing in position in the cocking piece and those could be disassembled easily. I did notice that in one of the Sako sites instructions pages there was a note that said firing pin adjustment could not be made without special tools. You could visit www.sako.fi ,click on rifles,look for old models open that and check for info.Sako has changed the site and some info may not be there anymore. Someone here may have an answer, you probably need to find a smith that is very knowledgeable with the A series . Best of luck Jim

Jim,
Thanks for your comments.
It is interesting what you say as I have an L461 bolt from 1964 and I have removed the grub screw to take apart the firing pin & spring and the housing.
Each hole is 3mm diameter.
FWIW Sako added the shroud to prevent any flash back on the A series.
The Sako diagrams have the firing pin assembly and not the parts.
As you say if it ain't broke...

Back