• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A hard-used L461 HB .223 (now .17-222)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That stubborn oil stain can be seen on the LHS of the stock in this photo:

9b87111340b9a12aa90e6bac0cd85957.jpg

A before and after comparison:

9e4b02ad154b818b3640f6a70d0cfff3.jpg

A close up of how I mount the LED torch:

dc8aa2534f669017ff2daabe29c42632.jpg

Marcus
Gee that came up well!

And then the results of some load testing last weekend

9aa5e56a5cd2a204e4f95b9eba713553.jpg

fe2bf9e20d4bee33508dce5ae1cc48af.jpg

c7941dc3e37e9bd85f11e1f669080b65.jpg

48ec22238d1e2ec04f13cfc41f6adf13.jpg

82cfb1eebfa830681abf6142604783d6.jpg

So the little .17-222 is still going strong and shooting well. I haven't really spent much time with the 25gn projectiles but these results indicate that some further investigation is warranted.

Marcus

I always running my 17s abover4000 fps never really produced the accuracy that I was hoping to achieve. That said I was using the older 17 pills 25 gr and the results that I achieved were lack luster. The best projectiles I used were Remington 25 gr corelokt hollow point solid base. These things were unbeatable and produced 1/4" groups at 100 yards.

rick

Your Chrony's measured speeds FAR exceed my Sako 17-222 speeds.

With 25 to 27gr. bullets, at about 3800fps the cases start to get tight in the chamber. I use a Oehler 35P chrono.

BTW.......my velocities pretty closely compare with those in the old Hodgdon manual, for the 17-222.

Just a thought.....

G'day Rick. To date I have focussed on the 20gn projectiles (v/zmax, Nolser Varmageddons) as I shoot 32gn projectiles in my .20-222. The 20gners shoot very well and flat. This is the first time I have tried the 20gn Nosler SHOTS HP and school is still out on them. Based on these recent results I might explore the 25gners a little more though.

G'day Kevin. Yes wise words of caution. The top two loads for the 25gners shown on the target a a little too warm for me, I think I'll try a few lower increments and see if I can find the next lower node. One objective with this rifle has been to try a variety of different powders manufactured by ADI that are (usually) freely available here in Australia - there is not a whole lot of load data for the .17-222, and what is available is often for powders we seldom see here. The ADI powders website provides an indication of equivalence between their powders and those by other producers. To date I have tried AR2207 (equivalent to H4198), BM8208 (IMR8208 XBR), AR2206H (H4895), BM1 (N133), BM2 (Benchmark) and AR2208 (Varget). To identify starting loads I considered loads for the .17 FB, .17 Rem and those I have tried with my .20-222. Unless constrained by available case volume I increased powder increments until I got pressure signs then quit. BM1 has proved to be the clear winner.

Has this been an interesting exercise that has produced some useful information? Yes. Is there a possibility that my Chrony is reading wrong? Always a possibility. Is that an issue if its use is primarily to compare between loads I shoot through it during a session? Probably not. Do I recommend people use any of my loads without first doing their own homework, starting low and working up? No. Should I have provided this background with the post above and/or included the 'start low and work up' advice. Probably, and I'll be more careful in the future.

My hope is that people can enjoy this thread for what it is - a story of beat up old rifle, previously trashed and then condemned as beyond redemption, now with a new lease of life and continuing to do what it was designed to do.

Marcus

Marcus.....

I fully agree.

No matter what ANY chronograph tells you..........BOTTOM LINE, is that it's the case/bolt/and measurements that tell the truth.

Latest posts

Back