• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

9.3x62 Bavarian Carbine

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

BRLMKR

I've followed this site for a few years and this is my first posting of a question. I currently own an AV 375 H&H Mannlicher, and 85 Bavarian Carbines in both 6.5x55 and 338 Federal . All, all are good shooters. On Sako's website they show a Bavarian Carbine in 9.3x62 (my favorite caliber!) . Does anyone know or can they explain why that caliber is not imported in the Carbine? You can purchase several other Model 85's in that caliber. Thanks, Terry

No idea BRLMKR but welcome to the forum. While I'm a fan of the old sakos I must say I do have a soft spot for the new carbine Bavarians. There was one posted on here a while ago that had some stock modifications done and it really looked a treat. I've seen them over here in .223 and .308 from memory but never in 9.3x62.

Probably because the metric are not huge sellers in the United States. I was looking for a tikka 9.3; they make them and catalog them but cannot find them in the States.
When I was in Africa last year, SAKO 7X57s were fairly common ( as common as SAKOs are.....) and a friend told me when he was in Germany, the SAKO 7.62X39 were fairly common also...

I agree with GreyFox. It's just not popular in the US.

If you look in Europe, 9.3x62 is, at this point, probably the most frequently purchased moose-hunting caliber in Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Almost everyone I know who is a frequent moose hunter in Sweden has added a 9.3x62 to their gun safe in the last 10-15 years. (Should be said that the vast majority of Swedish moose are probably still shot with a .30-06 with the 6.5x55 as a distant second).

In the US, feels like the preferred calibers for game that requires something bigger than a .30-06 is the .35 Whelen, .358 Win Mag, .358 Norma Magnum, and .338 Win Mag. My own view is that the 9.3x62 is a lot more pleasant to shoot than a .358NM. I haven't shot a .35 Whelen, but I'd like to.

If I get a dedicated moose rifle larger than my .30-06, I would get a 9.3x62, but that's because most of my moose hunting would be in north central Sweden. It's sort of the opposite of my deer hunting rifle - I would've got a 6.5x55, but I got a .270 because in the US, it's just much easier to find quality ammunition for a .270 if you don't handload. (I hunt deer in NY.)

That said, I bet if three or four of us agree to buy 85 Bavarians in 9.3x62, we can get them to bring in a few.

Several years ago I had a friend in the firearms wholesale/distribution business look into Beretta's requirement to import items on a special order basis that are not normally imported to or not on Beretta's list for the US. At that time, the minimum order was $10,000 US (wholesale), the wait time could be one year, & that Beretta wasn't keen on doing it unless you were a major buyer from them. I'm afraid an order for 3 or 4 from a minor distributor/wholesaler isn't going to influence their import decisions & your local gun store has no influence at all.

Latest posts

Back