• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Probably not a wise move unless you are emotionally attached to the rifle and will not feel good about selling. You would be money ahead if you sold it and bought what you want , providing the rifle is all factory issue. If it has a custom barrel already, then go for it. My 3 cents.-Misako

It's an easy conversion. Just have your smith run a 223 chamber reamer in it and set the headspace and away you go. Whether it is wise or not depends on the gun & you. If it's a highly prized collectible it would reduce it's value as you are altering it's originality. If you want it as a shooter you would gain a little performance with the 223 & be able to buy ammo in bulk at a markedly lower price. As a shooter I do not hesitate to change a Sako to whatever caliber I prefer, but I don't own any highly prized collectibles either.
By highly prized collectible I mean older Sakos in pristine condition, unfired, all original & complete, and rare in numbers or in configuration. The 223 has become a much more popular round for shooters.
Be aware that the older L46 action can not use the 223.

As long as resale is not important, if you want to cut it into a 223 I say go for it. Just plan on keeping it and as mentioned make sure it isn't a L46. Probably not a spits worth of difference in performance between the two but you will have cheaper more available brass. Now, having said that, if you do intend on selling it, call me, I'm always on the prowl for cheap parts guns.

.223's are common as dirt, but very few manufacturers continue to chamber the excellent grandaddy of the whole herd, the .222 Remington.

Besides spoiling the originality of the rifle, the barrel twist is probably approximately 1-14". That twist works fine for the 50 grain bullets the .222 was designed for, and even for 55 grainers. But it has become popular with the .223 to load it with somewhat heavier bullets -- 62 and 65 grainers for example -- which is why .223 twists are normally 1-12" or even faster. If you want to use those long bullets in a .223 they won't be stabalized in the slower twist barrel.

I have a friend who just picked up an abosutely pristine .222 rechambered to .222 Magnum. Luckily, it shoots the 55 grain factory loads beautifully, however he bought the gun for about $200 less than it would have probably brought had the owner left it in its original condition. Almost anything you do to an original Sako will lower its value.

hentied,
Have a birthday or anniversary coming up? I think you should keep what you have and I'm sure your wife would be happy to get you that .223. I agree with stone creek as well; hang on to that .222.

S-A

Hello Hentied,
I own a Mint - Condition "Vintage" B.S.A. "Hunter" .222 Rem Rifle, with a 1 in 14 twist which left the B.S.A. Factory in 1954.There is no way I would ever consider having that Rifle re - chambered for the .223 Rem cartridge.
Mike Walker got it so right in 1950. My advise is leave well alone. The .222 Rem cartridge is supurb.
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike [The Limey] Southern England. United Kingdom

Hi Bill, my 222 is a L461 = Sako Delux Vixen. If I may ask why, because I bought the firearm recently. Is there something that I must know about it?
Have a good one
Hentied

Hentied- Debauching that rifle would be akin to decoupaging the original copy of "the Declaration of Independence". You would no doubt suffer curses and such for altering it,
-Misako

Hentied-
I agree that re-doing your 222 into 223 is not the course of action I would follow. I'd recommend that you look for a L461 or A1 that came in 223 originally, and save your Deluxe 222, or sell it as-is if you don't want both a 222 and 223. All the best.

Hentied..I would try a box or two of Hornady 40 G V-MAX "varmint express" ..listed @ 3600fps..before I modified the rifle to .223..these rounds work a treat in my sako..if you do plan to re-chamber the rifle, cutting back the bolt stop will allow the round to clear the reciever ring..I was planing on doing this cal. swap to a sako action that I had, folks here talked me out of doing it, and a forum member sold me a .222 barrel, and I'm very glad that I did not go for the .223..Paul

What makes an L-46 unsuitable for the 223?
I have one I'm about to rebarrel to 6x45, which is a 223 necked up to 6mm. I intend to shoot it as a single-shot.

46 unsuitable for the 223? I have one I'm about to rebarrel to 6x45 said:
What makes an L
Used as a single shot, there would be nothing wrong with an L-46 for either a .223 or a 6x45. The problem you might run into would be a lack of magazine length if used as a repeater to accomodate the longer rounds.

Steve- FYI regarding using an L46 as a 223 or 6x45:

I recently acquired an L46 that had been rechambered from 222 to 223. I had accumulated 19 different 223 factory loads, so I tried each load to see if any would fit the L46 222 magazine and feed, extract and eject through the action from the magazine. Two Federal Predmium loads did, their 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and their 60gr Nosler Partition. However, I have not yet fired either of these two factory loads to see if they will actually work from the magazine in the field.

Since you are interested in a 6x45, I tried Black Hills 85gr HPBT Sierra 6x45 ammo in my L46 222 magazine and, of course, they won't fit. However, a 6x222 with a HP of 75gr or less might work in an L46. According to the load data I've seen, the velocity loss compared to the 6x45 seems immaterial...just food for thought. All the best.

Bill --
Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. My buddy has a 6x45 reamer, so that's the plan.
As for the "Deuce" -- may they reign supreme forever. I have taken more game with my 222 than with all my other high-powered rifles combined. It's quiet, scary accurate, and devastating.
We'd probably all agree that the 30-06 is as great a cartridge as has ever been developed. It's over 100 years old and still as great as ever -- a superb design. Reverse project one down to 22 caliber, and you'll see how Mike Walker came up with the dimensions for the 222 back in the early 50's.
Also, thanks for the advice on 6x45 factory loads, but I am staggered by sticker shock when I see today's ammo prices. The 222 Winchester loads I bought back in 1967 cost $3.35. Some are still marked. I've reloaded them over and over for almost 45 years. I see where reloading is falling out of vogue both on the shotgun fields and rifle ranges, but I always have and always will reload. I make 'em better than the factory can. I also load some wildcats the factory can't.
Best Regards and thanks again.

Steve, thanks for your followup post. I hear you on the wonderful 222, and on the economics and quality of reloading. Also, I would love to hear how your L46 6x45 progresses. You might consider starting a new thread on your 6x45 for those of us interested in following it. All the best.

Back