• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

22 Nosler in an AI

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

barreltwister

Has anyone tried feeding the 22 Nosler round through an L461/AI action originally chambered in 223?

Wondering how the fatter case will stack and feed before I buy a box of factory ammo to try it.

The .22 Nosler is slightly smaller in body diameter than the PPC series (.400" at the shoulder vs. .430 for the PPC). Since the PPC's fit in the AI magazine I would assume the same is true of the Nosler round.

Converting an AR platform from 223 Rem to 22 Nosler requires the use of a 6.8 Rem SPC magazine. This indicates to me that a different follower & possibly some opening up of the feed rails may be required for the Nosler round to feed & function in an AI action. I don't have a 6.8 Rem SPC magazine to measure & compare so I can't confirm if it is possible or not. The 22 Nosler is based on the 404 Jeffries case & has a .534" diameter rim , so there is also the question of the AI bolt face diameter being big enough to accommodate it. Which brings up the question of maintaining extractor function. My guess is the AI is not a good candidate for this conversion, but that's just my two cents. I must edit this post as I just realized that the 22 Nosler is the only one of the new Nosler series cartridges that does NOT use the 404 Jeffries as a parent case, but has a rebated rim that appears to be compatible with the AI bolt face. Sorry for the error!

Last edited:
Just for grins I tried stuffing the magazine of an L461 .222 full of four 6mm PPC cartridges. They went in just fine, but when feeding from the LH side they tended to jump out of the magazine before entering the chamber. Those on the RH side tended to chamber just fine.

Here are the base and shoulder dimensions of the parent cases of the three rounds:
.222 Rem = .378" and .357"
.22 Nosler = .420" and .400"
6mm PPC = .443" and .431".

With the .22 Nosler sitting in between the two in both base and shoulder diameter, I'm guessing that it wouldn't be difficult to make it work in an L461/A-I. The magazine might even digest five cartridges down.

But why go to all of that trouble just to get handloaded .222 Magnum velocities? Neck the Nosler brass up to 6.5 or .277 and you've got real game-taking power in an L461 action.

Or 223AI, 6mm TCU, 25x45, I know the small Sako came in 222 Rem Mag but I don't know if that was a special action. I shoot a 22-204(think 222 Remington Mag Improved) slightly more capacity than the 223 AI but mine is in a Savage action. I also shoot a 6mm-204 and 25-204(250 Savage/257 Roberts factory ballistics) but it is loaded to 2.4" overly long for the mini actions.

The 22-204 will clean up a 223 chamber and there is no need to set the barrel back, it is a straight rechamber job and you can use 204 Ruger bushing dies with the bushing and expander ball changed our to .224

Gents......

Please keep in mind that the maximum cartridge length, for the L461/AI action magazine box, is approx. 2.280".

Latest posts

Back