• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Found a low SN VL63 at a pawn shop, should I buy it?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

New member here. I guess I'm still warming up to a Finnwolf but everything is happening a bit fast. I'm sure the price is great for a lot of folk here but since I'm just learning about these things I'm a bit more reserved. Anyway here's the low down:
  1. Pawn shop find :)
  2. VL63 in 243
  3. SN 89 (really low, is this good or bad?)
  4. Bluing excellent but a few med-light scratches (4-5, one very visible on the top of the barrel)
  5. Stock is good with a few tiny nicks only visible up close and a small 2x1" patch that's lighter colored from what I guess is the finish rubbing off.
  6. Front sight blade replaced with a dovetail
  7. Weaver rail installed (4 screws visible, 2 front and 2 rear)
  8. No rings, no scope
  9. Leather sling, not sure if original
  10. 1 magazine included, don't know capacity. No additional mags.
  11. Has sat on their shelf for approx 3 years
Didn't take any photos so as to not be rude. Sticker was $800 not including taxes and fees. I offered $640 cash out the door but they wouldn't take. Their current offer is $800 out the door including taxes and fees(CA) so the actual gun cost is around $710 which is their current offer (down from $800).

My only concern is the low SN. I have no idea if that's good or bad. I could maybe talk them down to $760 out the door but that's $760 I wasn't expecting to spend this year.

Are you kidding? You asked us our opinion. We gave it. Pay the guy the asking price and don't forget to kiss him on the way out the door. If you don't want to buy it kindly share the name of the pawnshop so one of us can snap it up.

rick

Burbank CA. It's not actually a pawn shop but a really small gun shop. I didn't want to get sniped on it so I made up the pawn shop part ;)

Anyway I bought it. The owner wouldn't budge on his initial offer because it was a consignment gun. Original owner is the consigner so he must be pretty old. Something about selling off most of his collection to focus on his law firm according to the gun store. Ended up being $710 before fees, $810 out the door.

I would post photos but there's a waiting period of 10 days in CA so I won't have it until around ~11 days from today. I'll post pictures then.

I understand, and you are a lucky man!!!

So, it isn't a pawn shop and it was not there for a long time? Consignment gun? Still Congratulations!!

The store owner may be stretching the time it had been "sitting around". Seems to me any gun shop owner could have sold it on a gun auction site in a matter of days & for more money. If I was the consignee, I wouldn't have tolerated a 3 year wait. Lots of "red flags" for me on this one. I'm anxious to see pics & get more details about it before I say "great deal". Hope it's a keeper.

The store owner may be stretching the time it had been "sitting around". Seems to me any gun shop owner could have sold it on a gun auction site in a matter of days & for more money. If I was the consignee, I wouldn't have tolerated a 3 year wait. Lots of "red flags" for me on this one. I'm anxious to see pics & get more details about it before I say "great deal". Hope it's a keeper.
Good points. The store is a smaller one. The owner is quirky and I'm not sure they really care for online sales.

Latest posts

Back