• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako’s & Game Fall 2023

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

West Texas isn't about to run out of porkers! I see them virtually every time I go afield. This one fell to my L61R .25-06 using a 117 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip about 175 yards. The pig was somewhat larger than I first thought, probably weighing 175 lbs or so.

Note the factory stock with LH cheekpiece for a RH action. Knowing I'm a righty who prefers to shoot from the left shoulder, SCC President Jim found the stock for me in Sweden several years ago. I located a pristine .25-06 barreled action to put into it. The two fit each other like a glove, and accuracy is outstanding.

View attachment 32041
Nice grain on that stock.

More hogs! A group of hogs that must have had 40 individuals in it ran from one brush line across a field to another brush line about 200 yards from my stand this evening. They weren't stopping, so I had to shoot "on the wing". Was able to get off five shots and once the dust settled there were two hogs on the ground. Might have hit one more that made it into the brush. Not too bad for running boars at 200 yards, if I do say so myself. That Sako .25-06 really got a workout. No photos because I was didn't want to get out of the blind waiting on deer to appear -- which they did around sundown. Over two dozen of them, but the only bucks that showed up were young ones, "not ready for prime time".

Exercised a Sako AV Classic 30-06 & its first WT buck since new, topped in a Leupold VX III 2.5-8, 165 gr. Accubond this morning. IMG_0441.jpeg
Ancient buck that had been on our harvest target list for a couple of years. 10.5 yo+ with pronounced white hair on its rump & multiple wrinkles on his ears. Our rut just started & he was chasing does like a teenager. IMG_0443.jpeg

Last edited:
Exercised a Sako AV Classic 30-06 & its first WT buck since new, topped in a Leupold VX III 2.5-8, 165 gr. Accubond this morning.View attachment 32434
Ancient buck that had been on our harvest target list for a couple of years. 10.5 yo+ with pronounced gray hair on its rump & multiple wrinkled ears. Our rut just started & he was chasing does like a teenager. View attachment 32435
Great rifle and a very rugged looking set of antlers. Is that a 5x5?

Love the Classic. That's my favorite Sako, other than the L46/L469. Mine is in 6.5x55.

Icebear, yes a 5x5 that had gone downhill from 3-4 years ago when he was at his antler prime & about 30 more inches. Had been a buck ready to harvest since then but had avoided hunters. Have to make room for the younger bucks to replace him as a numbers issue.
As to your 6.5x55 Classic, that is a pretty special Sako. The Classic stock & pad are my favorite, I’d suppose.
Cheers

Last edited:
As to your 6.5x55 Classic, that is a pretty special Sako.
Agree 100%. I also love the look and feel of the Classic rifle, in fact I found another recently with great wood. Should be in my possession Friday afternoon, hopefully the FedEx goons don’t damage it on the way. Fingers crossed. Remember this one.

Last edited:
Here's the 6.5x55 Classic. Scope is a 2.5-8x Zeiss Conquest. I need to work with this one some more to determine its best loads. It's already shot sub-MOA groups but I want to get it shooting half an inch like my AIII .30-06 carbine.

Looking forward to seeing photos of BC4M's new Classic.
Sako’s & Game Fall 2023
Sako’s & Game Fall 2023

Hadn't been in the blind five minutes yesterday afternoon when a group of sows and pigs came into the feeder. Shot this young (125-lb) sow at 185 yards, which isn't much of a trick shooting a Sako from a blind with a sandbag to rest on in the window. But as the old man in the 1980's movie set in Australia called "Razorback" said, "There's somethin' about blastin' the s**t out of a hog that just brightens up me whole day."

The rifle is a "Bear" floorplate .30-06 Deluxe which I found last year at an attractive price. Condition is quite decent, but not in "collector" condition, so it is quickly becoming a favorite hunting rifle of mine (took a coyote with it last season.) Since the hog was about the right size, I did cut the backstraps out and saved them. The remains, strategically placed, will possibly lead to the demise of a coyote or two.

Sako’s & Game Fall 2023

Hadn't been in the blind five minutes yesterday afternoon when a group of sows and pigs came into the feeder. Shot this young (125-lb) sow at 185 yards, which isn't much of a trick shooting a Sako from a blind with a sandbag to rest on in the window. But as the old man in the 1980's movie set in Australia called "Razorback" said, "There's somethin' about blastin' the s**t out of a hog that just brightens up me whole day."

The rifle is a "Bear" floorplate .30-06 Deluxe which I found last year at an attractive price. Condition is quite decent, but not in "collector" condition, so it is quickly becoming a favorite hunting rifle of mine (took a coyote with it last season.) Since the hog was about the right size, I did cut the backstraps out and saved them. The remains, strategically placed, will possibly lead to the demise of a coyote or two.

View attachment 32710
A nice present for Boxing Day!

Dang! They just keep coming and Sakos keep taking them down. This is the eleven year old grandson of a good friend who took out this big boar with his granddad's Deluxe L579 .22-250 this frosty morning before the sn came up. Don't have the details on the distance and the shot, but a boar that big is a pretty tough kill for a .22-250. Perhaps the boar knew it was a Sako Deluxe and he just gave up;)!

Sako’s & Game Fall 2023

Hi Mr. stonecreek,
Great times youngsters & Sako rifles. I see your rifles are righthand models, There is a Lefty 30/06 new in the box on Gunbroker that is killing me. I wish you would buy it so I can stay married and not become homeless. All the best to our members & your family, keep up the good work of bringing youngsters into the fold. Happy New Year to all! B/T
P.S. Went hunting last evening, Sako AV 30/06, saw 2 yearlings & a doe @ last light, too dark to make an ethical shot, need to take some does out,soon!

Wasn't sure where to put this post as no game "fell" on this hunt, but I thought I'd share what, to me, was a pretty cool day. I'm hunting the Late Muzzleloader Deer season on my farm here in Iowa. It's located on the Missouri River about a half mile south of where the Platte River joins it. Had a skiff of snow Tuesday night & thought it would get the deer moving so I went & sat in one of the blinds I have set up. Didn't see any deer during the morning sit, but these devils show up just before sunrise. Always wanted to see what a 58 cal round ball would do on a turkey, but I was a good boy as they are out of season. I stopped counting when I got to 100. They have become a nuisance & have destroyed our quail population. Iowa DNR is way to restrictive with their regs.
Sako’s & Game Fall 2023
The "herd" drifted to the north to forage in some corn stubble so I left around 1000 hrs. Went back about 1500 hrs for the evening sit. The snow had melted off. Turkeys popped back out for supper & a little later a small buck & a few does wandered by about 40 yards from the blind. Passed on the deer as I have til Jan 11 to hunt & don't really need a "meat" deer. The deer walked right through the turkeys to where they were when I took the pic. Waited til dark, walked out & they didn't spook at all. You don't have to shoot to have a great day!! I feel very blessed to be the caretaker of this place.
Sako’s & Game Fall 2023

Turkeys … they are a pain!
It’s good to see the things that make an otherwise unsuccessful hunt an enjoyable experience.
I don’t know how many times I’ve gotten a quick cardio workout sitting and listening to what turns out to be Turkey instead.
Our Turkey population is about the same here … especially the hens.
Good luck for the rest of the season!

You don't have to shoot to have a great day!! I feel very blessed to be the caretaker of this place.
Yes! Hunting is about enjoying nature. Shooting takes a minute or two to line up the shot, then a second to fire. The rest of the day is for watching, learning, and enjoying the outdoors. I had some great times with the hunting club in Finland, even when I didn't fire a shot. And for that matter, just walking around with a .30-30 looking for deer is pretty good exercise on a cool fall morning.

And a big shout-out for your comment on land stewardship.

Yes! Hunting is about enjoying nature. Shooting takes a minute or two to line up the shot, then a second to fire. The rest of the day is for watching, learning, and enjoying the outdoors. I had some great times with the hunting club in Finland, even when I didn't fire a shot. And for that matter, just walking around with a .30-30 looking for deer is pretty good exercise on a cool fall morning.

And a big shout-out for your comment on land stewardship.
Great pics. Mr. P.
I have managed our farm for over 20 years & have killed 5 deer & 2 turkeys during that time. The pleasure of seeing the land produce food for wildlife & try to let the young bucks grow to reach their potential is most pleasurable.
Seeing the sun rise & set on the same tree over that time period makes me feel truly blessed! Wish others would learn that too. B/T

Congratulations! You are likely the first person ever to take game with an A73. And a worthy buck for a rare rifle. I bet you've been watching him for a while.

Back