would you remove front biathlon sight and rear base

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Missouri Joe, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Missouri Joe

Missouri Joe Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    I have just came across a L579 biathlon S#43xxx from '64/'65 in great shape except it is missing the rear micrometer target sight. I have contacted Sako parts and Lyman and posted a WTB on this site for the missing micrometer rear sight to no avail. While I would like to return the rifle to the original biathlon configuration, I cannot do so without a rear sight. I am considering removing the front aperture hooded sight that appears to be soldered and pressed on. The left side of the receiver has rear sight mount that is a 1" block of steel both screwed and welded in one spot to the receiver. Removing both as cleanly as possible will still leave some marking on the barrel and receiver. The rifle is about 98% which makes it a shame to do so. But the front sight and rear mount are useless without a rear sight. The rifle is a .243 with a very heavy barrel and would make a good scoped rifle but the big front sight would be in the sight plane of a properly low mounted scope. Would you hold out for the holy grail of a rear micrometer target sight or modify the rifle and start shooting it. thanks, Joe.

2. rodnak

rodnak Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hopefully this finds your biathlon rifle still in it's unadulterated state?

Seems cheaper to just buy another rifle. Even though you're waiting for the Holy Grail of a rear sight, you have an equally rare rifle!

At least that's my 2 cents. :)

Rod

3. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Not sure i would remove it, why not mount a scope and shoot.
    If you post a pic of your mount base someone might know the parts you need.

L-46

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It wouldn't be prudent to alter such a rare configuration. The heat required to remove the soldered on front sight will also cause cosmetic damage by discoloring the bluing reducing it's appeal even further. I think you will find the front sight not to be all that much of a distraction when using a scope, especially at magnifications of 9 & above. A rear diopter may show up when you least expect it, if you keep an eye out for one. Imagine how you would feel if after you altered it a rear sight became available!! Doesn't make sense to make a potentially high value rifle into a low end value rifle when you don't need too. You could also sell it and get a standard configuration & probably have money left over.