Finnwolf VL63 Would you believe?

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by icebear, Oct 21, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    $2625 for a Finnwolf? Just closed on Gunbroker. Gun was a .308, appeared to be in near-new condition and had both the original iron sights and proper Sako bases and rings, as well as an ancient Leupold 2-7x scope. Still, that's an awful lot of money for a Finnwolf!
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836845294

2. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Not a lot of money if your one of the family members that is fighting over the value of the collection.

Four years ago, I attended a local Estate auction that had six Sakos. The Finnwolf went for $3200. It was the cheapest. And the common 243 deluxe went for $3600. Others went for close the $4000.

3. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I was shocked by this as well. Looked to be in great condition but, I could swear that I saw a sizable scratch/pressure mark in the buttock.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And $2,625 wasn't the high bid. The winner entered a bid and another bidder kept increasing his own bid in $50 increments until he just gave up. So there's no way to know what the maximum that the buyer was willing to pay, just that someone else was willing to pay within $25 of $2,625.

Paul B. likes this.
  5. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very good point. Saw that in the bidding history as well. I believe some of the bids were made under the 15 minute mark thereby extending the auction a couple of times.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Right. And the third place bidder quit at $2,100, so there were at least three participants who regarded the item as worth north of two grand.

7. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Hey all!

That´s a lot of money but my guess is that it finally dawned on a number of Sako aficionados that the Finnwolf is one of the best lever actions around and that only some 10000 were made, which would make them somewhat more collectable than many other models. Not many around even if they are not rare by any means.

Anyway, this is only my 2 cents!

Jim

deergoose likes this.
  8. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Just for the informed collectors to chew on. Go to gunbroker auction # 835396676 and you will see a Finnwolf that no one bid on. Listed at only $1199.00 with no reserve.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The missing sights are a detraction, but the seller honestly stating that there had been some re-bedding work was probably the most off-putting issue. Pretty clearly, no dealer believed it would retail enough above the minimum bid to be a worthwhile gamble.

10. gphill

gphill Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I bought one of these years ago it is very good shape , I gave to to my son as he has many of my sake rifles. There were a couple up for auction on Rock Island Auctions and the bidding is reasonable.

11. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The rifle on Gunbroker had a couple of extra holes drilled on the left side of the receiver, as if for an aperture sight. Also the photos were pretty lousy. The extra holes, combined with the removal of the sights, undoubtedly reduced the interest in it. Add to that the Finnwolf action's reputation for being fragile and difficult to repair, the total unavailability of parts, and you get an overall impression of a gun that has not been well treated and might or might not work. I wouldn't even consider it at anywhere near the minimum bid.

12. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Please go back to your auction and look at photo # 12. And you will see the two holes that you claim are the foot prints of a custom project to add a non factory accessory sight.

As for the mention of a gamble. The seller offered a period of inspection.

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I was not using the word "gamble" in respect to the condition of the gun, but rather as to whether it would bring more for resale than the asking price. A reseller "gambles" that what he buys can be resold for more than he paid.

It is resellers who provide a floor for the market. A potential end user doesn't always find a gun when it is offered for a finite period, and many end users will not buy via internet auction for a number of reasons, including hesitancy about condition, not knowing an FFL to which the gun may be shipped, and the extra costs of shipping and paying the transfer fees that an FFL may charge.

When an end user isn't bidding on an auction, then the item will only go for "wholesale". Twelve Hundred Dollars (plus shipping) appears to be above wholesale for a Finnwolf with the issues which have been pointed out.

Speaking of shipping, my FFL dealer tells me that shipping damage to firearms is running about 5%, or one out of 20. He says he is almost never able to recover damages from shipping insurance. UPS always says "improperly packed, claim denied".