Worth? 1976 l461 .223 vixen

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Casey Robertson, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey Robertson

Casey Robertson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Im looking for the value of this gun. Any help would be appreciated. Its a sako vixen .223. It has a 26” barrel. Heres some pics too.

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This model of Sako sporter should have a 23.6" barrel, not a 26" barrel (unless someone has hung some kind of accessory on the end of the barrel).

The .223 chambering is in good demand in a Sako. Your photos don't show enough to accurately judge the condition, however, and condition is everything in a used gun. Some buyers would give a premium for the vintage Lyman scope while others wouldn't pay any more for it than for the bare gun.

Prices (in the U.S.) for this kind of Sako of this vintage start around $700 for average condition and go up from there depending on a number of factors.

3. Casey Robertson

Casey Robertson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Hmm, what pictures would you need to do more condition value? What other factors might help?

How much "premium" would someone pay for the lyman scope?

4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Are you looking for a value for resale or for insurance purposes? Either way a lot of detailed pics are the only way anyone can get you a close value.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Or simply look at gunbroker etc...

6. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Only if you look at the ones that actually sell. There are quite a few on there that have been there for months and will never move. Hundreds of dollars way over priced. Same with Guns International except they are not listed for that length of time.

7. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That’s right, with a bit of research, which is at most everyone’s fingertips, a value is easy to find. Casey has come here, which is fair enough, but without any details about the overall condition of the rifle and three pics.
    Doesn’t give a potential buyer much to go off.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Is the import acid etching label on top of the barrel.......or am I missing something?

Just curious.....

9. Casey Robertson

Casey Robertson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Heres a full array of pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Casey Robertson

Casey Robertson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Not sure what you mean.

11. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sorry.......it was my optical delusion.

12. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    What happens often, is people cruise the Internet looking for values of their Sako rifle. It also appears that there is no interest in a Sako as a rifle, but as an object. Then they land here looking for a value and no interest in Sakos other than a value for this object.

This is what this appears to me, so I will give my evaluation:

You have nothing special. It is a desirable caliber in a desirable gun, but the scope and rings do little for the value. The condition of the gun detracts from the value as it has been used fairly hard with considerable wear on both the bluing and the stock.

Bare rifle is worth $600.00 - $750.00

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  13. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Steve { Stonecreek },

I must disagree with you regarding the length of Sako barrels. During 1976 a Gun & Rifle dealer friend of mine, who is still in business - John March Firearms, West Street, Wimbourne, Dorset, England., ordered a Sako L579 " Forester " in .22 - 250 Rem. Calibre from the Importers La - Personel who were in London. What was stated in the order was that the rifle was made with a 26 inch barrel. The rifle duley arrived with a 26 inch barrel with front iron sight. I do know this as years ago I shot the rifle several times. I also know that the rifle was sold to a farmer called " Bronk " many years later. What happened to the rifle after " Bronk " passed away I do not know.

Best Wishes

Blackjack

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    BJ: I suppose that various barrel lengths might have been made on special order, but no Vixens that were not special order were ever made with a 26" barrel. A few early Finnbears did have 26" barrels although the standard barrel was 24.4".

15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'd have to agree with Kirk. I'm not a good judge of the value of vintage scopes, but the Lyman's do have a following. It would probably attract a number of bidders on some place like ebay, but showing some cosmetic issues it wouldn't bring top price.

There are plenty of would-be sellers who would put a Sako like this on Gunbroker with a starting bid $1,500 and let it recycle week after week for months. Just why they do this has always been a mystery that escapes my powers of reason.

16. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Steve,
    Yes of coarse the L579 .22 - 250 Rem. with 26 inch barrel was a special order.
    Stay Safe
    Blackjack

17. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    To add to the $700 dollar value you should consider that the $700 for this is way better than a newer gun that costs $700.

18. Casey Robertson

Casey Robertson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    hah you guys are funny.. You know how much a sako viken l461 with a 26" barrel is worth? ALOT more then you guys are telling me it is. I found this whole thing super funny. Thanks for the laughs.

19. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    If you do find a Vixen with an OEM 26" barrel you'd better buy it ASAP. Finding a L61R with a 26 is hard enough.

20. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I have just been schooled on this rare gun, it is worth over $5,000.00...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.