Windage adjustment with two piece optilocks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by Smgchandler, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Smgchandler

Smgchandler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Just mounted a scope on l461 and my windage is two feet to the left with as many clicks possible used to correct. Reticle is way too the left. Been reading but haven’t really found my answer. By moving front optilock base forward or back - will this change my windage ? Or is there any other adjustment ? Thanks for any advice

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    You need to move your scope to the left to accomplish that, moving the base forward or back won't change a thing. You might try another scope or else you are going to have to use different rings...

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just an elementary question, so please don't be offended: Are you sure you moved your reticle the right way? If you want the bullet to move left then move the adjustment in the direction of the arrow that points "L", or opposite if there is only an arrow pointing "R". After more than fifty years of mounting and sighting scopes I sometimes inadvertently move the reticle the wrong way.

I've also seen some scopes with the adjustments marked backward to the direction they move the bullet. Have you checked to see if this might be your problem?

4. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Good point, I haven't done that myself, but it would be easy enough to do...

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    How about posting a picture of your Optilock rings? There are three variations that I know of and it would help to be sure exactly which rings you have.

6. Smgchandler

Smgchandler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I’ve had several post on another “benchrest site” where others have had same problem just no one posted a solution. I’m mounting a nightforce br 12x42x56 on l461 vixen in 6ppc. Using two piece optilocks and high optilock rings. Bore sighting with looking through bore to target 100 yards away in center of bore with bolt out of rifle and bore on middle of target I’m trying to get enough windage to the right to get reticle on paper but not enough. Scope is out of line enough and with other rings and scopes i don’t have this problem. I’ve read moving front base forward will correct some of this but have not tried it yet. Others have had this problem and changed rings. I would like to use the optilocks and they give enough clearance with scope barrel but i feel like it is the bases is where problem lies not the scope or dovetails on rifle. Just looking for input from someone that has used the optilocks and had them to be off. I am open to suggestions but believe it’s not the scope

7. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    If stonecreek’s suggestion provides no relief then please consider the following.

If the Optilock system is correctly installed on the dovetails, the rings are always directly right over the center bore. It’s almost mechanically impossible for anything else to occur. Moving the front ring will not change anything.

If the scope is completely zero’d and placed in the rings, then 9 out of 10 times on this system, the windage will be almost centered, simply by design. Typically only fine tuning is required.

Check the bases carefully. See that they are fully engaged down all four sides. Also check to see that the rings are 100% perpendicular to the bases.

I use an old school spud style bore sight tool with a grid. I’ve mounted dozens of scopes utilizing this system and have never experienced any issues. The design is about as good as any in the industry, but there always could be an anomaly.

I suppose the scope could have an internal issue but have never seen or heard of this with Nightforce. Or, the dovetails are not in alignment, but have never experienced this with any Sako, new or old.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    If a used scope or moving from one gun to another, may need to
    re-zero it to factory - sent you a pm on 2 procedures.
    good luck

9. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    In your opening post you say that "the reticle is way to the left". Curious what you mean by this exactly. When you look through the scope are the cross hairs not centered? If so, time to get Nightforce RMA.
    You could max out your windage in one direction, then count the clicks to max it out in the other direction. Return half the total of number of clicks and you should be close to center. Just don't get all "gorilla'd" when you max out the knob, damage could result.
    Try bore sighting at a closer distance -- 25 yards.

10. Smgchandler

Smgchandler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    This is a c/p from another site —- Just remember the Sako is a Tapered Dovetail. The Optilocks are also Tapered but one side is a fixed taper, the other has the adjustable clamp. The further forward you push the fixed side the further it goes off line from center. Fixed side on the left so the further left the scope goes as you move the mount forward.

There are Tapered Dovetail Mounts (with a Weaver Rail top) that do slide on and you lock them where they become tight as you mention BUT they do not have an adjustable side clamp. They stay centered as you move them forward to just a snug fit then they have just lock screws.

On another point, Sako do make what they call Optilock Ringmounts, which is the mount and scope ring all in one. I have a secondhand set but to date I have not found anywhere any instructions on where the front one should be, not even on the Sako site. One day I'll send them an email and ask where they are hiding the instructions or maybe test them myself with a windage zeroed scope

11. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    The front Optilock base does provide for windage adjustment by moving forward or backward on the tapered dovetail.
    This information used to be on the Sako.fi site, at a quick glance I can’t find it now.

Tomball likes this.
  12. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Please refer to the attached photos. Please also refer to the YouTube videos online. I understand your frustration but if installed as intended and designed you should not have any issue with windage.

I’ve read all the threads, I’ll attribute the problems folks are having with not using the product in its intended fashion.

Photo 1 shows the intended set up. Notice the alignment with the ejection port.

Photo 2 shows the base slid forward just for reference. It will not advance any further.

Photo 3 shows the base centered on the dovetail.

Photo 4 shows the ring slid as far forward as it will go. Still centered over the dovetail.

All things being normal, any quality scope set to zero utilizing this high quality system should not be problematic.

I just mounted a scope back on this rifle. I grabbed it counted back to center, set it in the rings and it was nearly set windage wise. I even slid the rings, just to affirm what I already knew.

I really hope this helps. Good luck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  13. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    SAKO OPTILOCK BASES AND RINGS
    Optilock bases and rings are machined from a solid block of steel, Cr-Mo alloy or stainless, just like our rifles. The front bases have a solid angled left side and a similarly angled right side with a clamping device. This base design connected to Sako rifle´s integral dovetail rail allows you to adjust the horizontal position of the scope objective end without touching the scope adjustment.

sraaw likes this.
  14. Smgchandler

Smgchandler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Sean i have been covered up since Monday with work and sons ballgames - like a one leg man in a butt kicking contest and i also work this weekend all day both days but as soon as i get a chance I’m going to compare your pics with my bases. I actually put them on with the intentions of making sure scope would clear the barrel. This is 4th set of rings/bases used trying to get enough height to clear. That story is for another day. I was so glad to see the clearance worked with these rings i didn’t pay much attention to anything else until i went to bore sight then saw the windage problem. I will back the front base up and see how much correction it makes and post back as soon as i get time to fool with it. I appreciate your post. I can not imagine though that it is going to make enough change but will see. I may even swap rings front to back just to see if it helps. I really believe this is not normal or i could find a lot more on the subject posted. Thanks again

15. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    You won't be able to swap bases front to back because the taper is different width. This video is pretty straight forward:

16. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I just had a thought - are you sure you have the correct Optilock bases for a short action? Sako makes different Optilocks for different length actions, and if you're using a long action base on an L461, that might be the source of the problem. I know from experience with Conetrol bases that not all Sako bases fit all dovetails properly.

17. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    BINGO !!!

Scroll down here:
    https://www.sako.fi/scope-mounts

18. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Respectfully,

When mounted the rifle scope sits on a horizontal plane. This reference is reflective of the ability to move or reposition the scope on its horizontal plane without adjusting the elevation or horizontal crosshair. Although each time any scope is repositioned fine tuning may be required.

Also, the front base has zero provision built in to adjust the vertical or windage crosshair. The only way to achieve this would be to retro-fit the base which would be senseless and perhaps unreliable.

Finally, and I should have included this early in the discussion, if you completely re-set or zero any good quality scope, then place it in the proper Sako ring and base set, the elevation cross hair will also typically need only small adjustments up or down. When done properly you’ll end up with most or all of your horizontal and vertical adjustment.

Cheers

19. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Sean, respectfully, my last post was quoted from Sako.fi when the information was available. I saved it years ago and have no desire or need to track it down again.

It works, nothing more to add.

sraaw likes this.
  20. Smgchandler

Smgchandler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Fellas the scope was and has been “centered” and it came off another rifle and was dead on on previous rifle. I would think windage should be really close with moving from one rifle to the next even if not centered. I usually bore scope by looking through bore and adjusting cross hairs and i agree that it should be pretty close or at least on paper if it were dead on with first rifle. This is my first experience with sako rifle and mounts but i can tell you something is off. The bases are for short l461 action and in my post above i said bases swap but meant rings swap. I will post more after i play with it as time allows. I just really thought a few others have had this problem on sako site with solution as other sites because of postings elsewhere. In my little mind i want to say front base movement may affect windage but common sense tells me not enough or not two feet of windage that will be needed. Thanks