Will AII bolt fit L579?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Furdown, Apr 13, 2019.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    You did ask a question on a board of people with varying interests and knowledge. This is just a recap of some of the obstacles you are faced with. Hoping for ratification on a highly speculative venture isn't what you will find here.

Storing guns or using them has no bearing on how a gun functions when it is used. It isn't impossible to get a bolt and fit it to where the gun will shoot, but it is similar to having a mirror, then trying to fit a truck to it. Sure it can be done, but time and money should determine what any gun is worth and I think you are blinded somewhat by having that action and what the end result will or could be.

2. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    I was looking for an answer to a simple question. Thank you very much to PO4R and others for answering that. Now does anyone have a bunch of truck parts for sale. I have this really nice mirror

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I posted the ad a while back (please keep in mind that the bolt I was selling is already sold)

Sako L46 Riihimaki Complete Bolt For Sale

I have a Complete L46 - Riihimaki Bolt for sale. $445 USPS SIF delivered to you. Bolt is in excellent shape. Fits 222 et al. Someone tried to remove the serial number but no damage done. Appears to be just some very minor sanding and most of the serial number is visible. Its in really great shape. First one gets it. Snooze you lose.

If you are worried about headspace, don't. I used this bolt to test headspace differences between at least six L46 rifles. Measurements indicated no more than 2 - 3 thou difference is headspace between all rifles. I used the bolt for test firings and had absolutely no problems or issues with the cases or performance.

I repost this now just to prove a point. Sako went the extra mile to make things virtually interchangeable. As my testing shows. Six L46 bolts has to be enough to prove the point. So I would run the same test on L579 bolts as see what the numbers reveal. If they are within the same 2 - 3 thou range across 5 to 6 bolts then I wouldn't bother investing in a go - nogo gage.

Seems to me that between Midway and the bolt parts on Ebay you could cobble together an L579 bolt that would work providing the tolerances are consistent with my L46 findings. I didn't say that this would be cost effective but at least it is something to think about.

rick

Furdown likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You said in an earlier post that "the bolt is over $200". Well, if that infers less than $300 it is a bargain. Buy it. There is a 95% probability that it will work without any fitting. Your goal is to make the gun shootable, not to make it into a collector's item, so having a mismatched bolt is of no consequence. Like I said earlier, in the unlikely event that it doesn't work you can sell it, perhaps for even more than you paid.

With that said, let me mention another possibility. Shop for another L579 in a caliber different from yours but with the same head (.22-250, .243, .308, for example). Buy it for a keeper and a shooter. Then use the same bolt in both rifles (you can only shoot one at a time, right?) When you are hunting coyotes or prairie dogs use it in the .22-250. When you go after whitetails use it in the .308. It is impossible to own too many rifles, but is also impractical to shoot them all simultaneously, so one bolt shared by two rifles is a reasonable solution, right?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    OMG ARE YOU CRAZY??? You can't just change bolts between guns, you mess with the HEADSPACE!!! LOL

I wish I could type and respond as elegantly as Stonecreek.

Takes the switch barrel concept to switch Bolts? Nice....

6. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Sorry to disagree with yo Fox but that just ain't so. Check out my previous response to this post about my findings with regard to bolt specs across six L46 rifles. If L579s' were made with the same precision bolt specifications it would be possible to use the same bolt on two rifles with the same base config. You gotta remember that we are dealing with Sako precision here not U.S. manufacturing slop.

rick

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Disagree all you want Rick - no offense taken.
    I've fixed way too may guns to worry about such things.

8. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I have to agree with the switch bolt side on this. I have several L579s and an All in either .308 or .243, that I can use any of the bolts in all of them. I found this after buying the All without a bolt and then having my gunsmith do the headspace checks and safety/ triger sear check as well. I also have 4 Magnum L61Rs that maintain headspace within spec in the same way.
    Goes to show the tight tolerences maintained by the Sako factory over many years. Given that the earliest L579's Serial is in the 12000 range and the All is a late model, with the palm swell, it's just another of the reasons I regard these fine rifles so highly.
    I understand this is not the the norm across manufacturers, but if the rifle has the original barrel then don't be surprised if your Sako bolts can be interchanged safely, after checking the headspace with Go No-Go guages.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019