Will AII bolt fit L579?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Furdown, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    I have a L579 round top action but missing the bolt. Found AII bolt online but not sure if that would fit. I understand they are very similar but don’t know about interchangeable. Maybe someone has both action rifles and could check? Thanks for any replies

2. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Don't have an AII - but did notice that something odd happens between L57 and L579. Both types of L57 bolt will fit the L579 receiver, but L579 bolt will not fit the L57. So be careful to try it before buying might be a good idea, and of course then don't forget to check the headspace.

3. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    Thanks for the info kj60. That’s the prob with buying online is hard to check before buying

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    It's been a while, I tried that with a customer's bolt that wasn't working correctly, Hard to remember but I think the short answer is no,
    Guy had a AII, Grendel, (SAKO action, douglas barrel, folding stock) Action would lock, tried a bolt from my AII and worked fine, tried an older bolt and no, - ended up being the guide.

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Midwest has the bolt body for the L579 in stock at just under $400. Granted you will have to come up with the inerds but there are parts on Ebay that just might get you more than half way home. I would also check Gunparts Corp.

rick

6. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Another potential option would be to locate an entire rifle. I fount a complete Forester in a pawnshop for $600. I negotiated it for a little less.

If you could do the same you’d have your bolt plus a few hundred in spare parts and stock. Every part has value and would sell quickly, or you could keep everything for yourself

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, an A-II bolt should work in an L579. If the bolt is reasonably priced and it happens not to work for some reason it is quick and easy to resell it. You'll be no further behind by buying it even if it doesn't fit (however, I'm nearly sure it will.)

8. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    Wow that was a good find and a good buy
    wow that was a good find and a good buy

9. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Most pawnshops and some gun shops don’t have a clue how to value a Sako. They almost always rely on the good olé blue book, which is in my opinion, pretty worthless when used as the only resource.

Sakos can be located which are well undervalued.

More recently, I bought or traded for two AIII’s. One was $550, the other was $625. The one at $550 had a nice vintage Leupold and vintage Sako ringmounts. I kept the Leupold, sold the rings to a gentleman right here, and sold the rifle after a facelift to a colleague/friend for slightly more than the entire package.

10. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    That’s pretty good. I guess maybe they are just harder to find round here. Went to gun show yesterday. Looked over hundreds of guns. Only 1 sako. They were asking 1150 so I did not buy. Will have to start looking more in pawn shops maybe

11. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    Thanks for the info The bolt is over 200 so I was hoping someone that had both could try it to see for sure and would have a definite answer. But your right I could probably get most or all of money back by re selling if it don’t work

12. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    L579 and AII bolts are interchangeable, but the headspace must be checked and fitted.

Furdown likes this.
  13. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    OK, Again, SOMEONE tell me this:

"Check the Headspace" WHERE exactly, are you checking the headspace, and how does one "fit" it?

I used to gunsmith, and the internet policy of people ALWAYS recommending "Checking the headspace" Good LAWD:
    I could have made a fortune "checking the headspace" on every customer's rifle I had in my hands.

14. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All cartridges have a SAAMI headspace dimension. It is the distance from the bolt face to the datum line on the shoulder of the chamber. The maximum allowable "slop" is .004". When the cartridge is chambered the bolt won't close if the headspace is too tight & if the headspace is too big it will allow the case to stretch near the web and possibly cause a case head separation. Headspace is measured using headspace gauges called "Go" & "No-Go". If your bolt won't close on a Go gauge your headspace is too tight. If the bolt closes when chambering a Go gauge but not on a No-Go gauge your headspace is within tolerance. If it closes on a No-Go gauge your headspace is too large. Headspace is "set" two ways. With a new barrel the chamber is cut & checked until the Go gauge just chambers & the No-Go gauge is used to confirm it was not over cut. When a barrel is installed that is already chambered it is checked with the gauges. If it is too tight the chamber is cut deeper. If it is too large, the shoulder of the barrel is cut back so the barrel screws in closer to the bolt face. Installing a barrel from another gun nearly always requires one of these procedures, along with indexing the barrel so sights and/or stampings are in the correct position & barrel face/ extractor machining if needed. Using a barrel from another rifle is not something I recommend, as the extra machine work & fitting usually outweighs any savings over using a new barrel. Barrels just don't screw on & off & interchange. They are individually fitted to each action they are installed on. It is extremely improbable for a factory installed barrel to have an improper headspace dimension, so there is no need to check it on every customer's rifle unless the fired cases show signs of casehead separation.

Sean Hodges and Furdown like this.
  15. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As this thread is about changing bolts, I should add that the same rules apply about checking headspace. If another bolt differs by as little as a few thousandths of an inch where the lugs fit into the action the headspace can be out of tolerance &, as others have indicated, the headspace should be measured & corrected if needed.

16. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree with Paulson on the subject of headspace, particularly if the shooter intends to use primarily factory loads. Handloads can be tailored to headspace which is out of spec, so if you are handloading and know what you're doing headspace is not as big an issue.

With that said, I've found Sako tolerances to be much closer that those of most manufacturers. I've never tried a Sako bolt from one rifle in another that the headspace wasn't within tolerances.

It is not the conventional way of doing it, but if, with a new/substitute bolt if the headspace is too tight to allow chambering factory loads then it is possible to face just a tad off of the rear of the bolt lugs. This is probably much easier than resetting/recutting the barrel/chamber. If headspace is too generous then I'd recommend handloading only. Create a false shoulder on the brass in the right place, fireform, and afterward neck sizing-only.

17. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    New barrels, yes,
    changing bolts, don't waste the time or $ unless it makes you feel good.
    This is NOT an AR style 2 piece bolt,

Now, suppose you buy a bolt, put it in "check the headspace", and it's off, Now what???? Buy another bolt and try again (good luck with that) or screw the barrel in or out a half turn. Now the barrel markings are off and it's obvious someone who didn't know what they're doing tried to "set the headspace".

Changing one piece bolt: Put a cartridge in and shoot it then measure the case. If there's an issue you cut the barrel one thread and recut the chamber.

Too many internet experts always recommend "check the headspace". People have no idea what they're saying.

Look at Brownells for head space gauges. There actually aren't that many.

18. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    In addition to proper headspace......

A proper clearance between the barrel breach and bolt nose should be verified. If I recall correctly, gunsmiths usually aim for about 0.003- 0.005". Older L461 actions, with the protruding extractor , are a bit of an exception.......but are helped, due to their having a relatively shallow boltface counter-bore. When having an older L461 action rebarrelled, I usually slightly "blunt" the extractor nose, to allow for a closer barrel breach positioning relative to the bolt nose.

I'd also be careful, with regards to the rear of the bolt lugs.......as any change may affect the bolt's primary extraction capabilities.

Hope this helps.

19. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I wouldn’t want a bolt and action that didn’t match. You have to ask yourself why you would consider such an undertaking.

It would always be a parts gun at the very best and a round top besides. I would sell the action and forget cobbling up a gun that would never be a correct Sako...

20. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    If it functions safely and shooots good that would be fine by me. My guns aren’t just for looking at. Hard to find parts or I would get the exact one. If it’s not the exact part but works just as well that gives it more character anyway in my opinion.