Stock Will a Sako 75 Stock Fit an AIII?

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by BridgerHollow, Jun 4, 2020.

1. BridgerHollow

BridgerHollow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Bought a virtually new AIII (.30-06) on an auction site. Stock was broken in shipment (don't ask me how the gun was packed by seller).
    AS the action is literally unfired, I would like to complete purchase, but the negotiations (with seller and carrier) will begin tomorrow.

Wondering if a newer stock (75 or 85) will fit, as these are available from Sako.

Also, wondering what risks are assumed in buying a replacement stock (A3 from e-bay or otherwise) or a 75 or 85, and what should I budget for gunsmith fees to make fit 100%

Thanking you in advance.

2. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    2CF50D9E-5E10-4606-9BDA-96CA9B41F3FF.jpeg B0FA5E7E-322D-4B15-A487-1F8B6F6E8CA9.jpeg AB754800-55D9-4DF9-94C8-CD47FA0FDD3D.jpeg
    Neither a 75 or 85 will work. I have 75 and AV stocks and there are substantial differences in the inletting. I would be concerned if a gunsmith states he can make the 75 work. These stocks are from 7mm mags. Left is AV and right is 75.

Good luck.

3. BridgerHollow

BridgerHollow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Thank you. Curious, is the AV and AIII stock a match?

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    They can be made to match with more ease. The inletting is practically identical with the exception of longer rear tang on AV. So AIII action will drop in as it should, but there is a few millimeter empty space behind the tang. Not a problem for a shooter, but not optimal for display purposes.