Why would they say that?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Sep 28, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Pardon my venting, but when people misrepresent a rifle, particularly a Sako, in a for-sale ad it gets under my skin.

This dealer has represented this L61R as "MADE IN 1962 FIRST YEAR PRODUCTION" https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...first-year-of-production.cfm?gun_id=101301115

Well, first of all, June of 1961 was when the first Finnbears shipped to distributors were produced. And the serial number of this gun shows in the inspection records to have been inspected in November of 1963. That would be the third year in which the Sako Finnbear L61R was produced. This rifle came off of the assembly line two-and-one-half years after the first of its kind.

Obviously, the seller is attempting to make the rifle more attractive to potential buyers by representing it as "First Year Production". This is either out of ignorance, carelessness, or fraudulent intent. Not only that, some unwary buyer may buy it, then later offer it for sale depending on what he was told by the seller and representing it as "First Year". This has a way of perpetuating itself and convincing many people who come in contact that some how it was made in 1962 (when it was not) and that 1962 was the first year of production (which it was not). When you run across one of these guys who has such a rifle obtained under such a misrepresentation they will almost fist-fight you when you tell them that the information they have is inaccurate.

I have no experience with this dealer. However, I seem to recall that someone here on the forum mentioned having dealings with him in the past. It would be helpful to know if he makes a practice of misrepresenting his offerings, or if this is simply a careless mistake on his part.

sakojim likes this.

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Don't know the guy but good luck with him getting $1800 for that thing!

3. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I agree stonecreek. Several ways to look at these wan-a-be con artists presentations. 1) If it looks like a bargain, there must be some thing wrong. 2) Don't believe anything that you read or hear and only half of what you see. 3) Research diligently. 4) Do NOT make sudden impulsive or compulsive decisions if you can't afford a loss. 5) Do a background check on the seller if things do not look right. 6) If you do take a loss by making a mistake, don't forget it. Sakojim.

4. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    If you wish to vent. Then vent.

I seem to recall a Sako for sale a while back, that was “one of one” and this reference was backed up by an historical claim, founded on a past auction house listing.

Now auction houses generally sell “as is” and will not offer any guarantees.

I consider anyone that boasts any gun (from a factory that turns out thousands of guns) for sale that is “ one of one” just another upright citizen of never never land.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I had a look through this dealer's other listings, three pages of them. He appears to specialize in older American sporting arms, mainly rifles and Smith and Wesson revolvers. His prices were high but not totally over the moon. There were hardly any European guns offered. He did have a 1942 Sako m/39 military rifle, which was honestly and correctly described (and overpriced by half). He had one Browning Safari, which he had checked for salt wood. My guess would be that he knows little about European sporting rifles and accepted at face value a claim made by whoever sold or traded it to him. The $1800 price is absurd. A much more rare and desirable L461 deluxe in .222 Magnum closed this morning on Gunbroker for $1400. I'd say he just doesn't know anything about Sakos.

P04R and XTrooper like this.
  6. XTrooper

XTrooper Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    An intelligent and logical conclusion. I agree.