Finnwolf VL63 Why would anyone want a Finnwolf?

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by northernlights, Jan 30, 2010.

1. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Good Morning Riflemen,
    I also frequent a lever guns forum and this morning there was a post with this subject heading: "Why would anyone want a Finnwolf?" Big Bear (the poster) is a Winchester 71 online friend of mine and is an avid shooter and hunter on Vancouver Island, BC. While I have several Finnwolfs myself, I'm sure there is someone on the Sako Collector's Forum who is far more knowledgeable and would be able to provide Big Bear with a very well informed answer. I'll take the best response...or the best several responses...and post them on the lever guns forum acknowledging that they come from you guys here. I'm also interested in your answers! Here's the relevant portion of Big Bear's post:
    "Since I caught the lever virus, I've found out about the joys of the 71, the grace of the 99, romance of 1886, and so forth...94,88,53,95,64 (and yes, I do blame you guys for this predicament.) ....I am balking at the Finnwolf. It is rare, valuable, elegant...everytime I get close to one, however, this nagging problem rears up. I shoot my rifles as much and often as time allows. If by chance I had a Finnwolf, alas, I would shoot it, alot. From what I have seen spare "anythings" for Finnwolfs are non existent. Like , when was the last time you saw a Finnwolf magazine for sale?. I haven't worn out any long arms yet (cracked the frame on a Sig 226 once [​IMG] ), but I have had screws bent, lost, magazines that didn't work, etc. So you get yourself a lovely Finnwolf. You enjoy yourself shooting it and lo and behold the magazine starts to stutter, firing pin gets chipped or broken with a bad reload/faulty store bought round. [​IMG] [​IMG] Now what in blazes do you do? So like I was asking, why would anyone want a Finnwolf? Help me out now and clear this issue up, I've passed up 2 now (lost to some other guys without these qualms, in truth) because I hesitated before I leapt because of this concern and that's in less than 2 months, and we all know they don't come up very often. I'm going to go do some reloading and check back later to see if anyone put a new log in the fire."

[FONT='Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT='Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks! [/FONT]
    [FONT='Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Victor [/FONT]
    [FONT='Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]aka Northernlights[/FONT]

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Victor- Some of us should not own a Finnwolf. It isn't everyman's rifle, as your friend "inadvertantly" points out. I have them with nothing other than my imagination , a good gunsmith (With a good sense of humor and the good chance to outlive me), and a very decent stockmaker if mine are ever destroyed, to back me up. Having a firing pin made or a spring found is no big issue with them. It is all a matter of personal taste and personality. Much the same as some one choosing a car. I think the parts problem lies in the fact that parts rifles are in the wrong hands. The people that own them should utilize them that way and not try to restore them to sell.- Misako

3. mattimoose

mattimoose Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    That's why I own a BLR. If I had a Finnwolf, it would probably stay in the cupboard, but I would kill at least one animal with-it before I put-it away, they like that.

4. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    I own a Finnwolf and consider it a part of the collection. It was also owned by Jim Lutes so it has an attachment. I've never fired it and don't plan to.....of course I own several examples that have never been fired by me or anyone else. If you are a Sako collector the Finnwolf is a nice one to have to round out a collection. I think they are also well engineered and historical in that there aren't many clip fed lever action rifles you can name. They also seem to increase in value faster than any other model.......that seems like a good reason! Regards, Rick.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Rick,
    I agree with you fully. However the values of the Winchester Model 88 are right up there, too. They have a cult following as well.
    FWIW,
    S-A

6. jlackey

jlackey Active Member

Victor,
    Both are very desirable and collectible lever guns.
    Your concerns about the Finnwolf seem perfectly legitimate. Sound like you could afford to own both the Finnwolf and the Winchester if you want to. That separates you from me I'll tell ya.
    From what I've seen, the model 71 Winchester usually costs more than a Finnwolf. Like a thousand dollars more. Also, I noticed that .348 ammo was surprisingly expensive. I can't imagine model 71 parts being plentiful, either.
    I pretty much use my Finnwolf whenever, for hunting, target shooting, show and tell. I doubt I'll ever lose the clip and I really don't expect any major problems with the rest of the gun. (I'm running perhaps a few boxes a year through it.) I would bet the reliability is right on a par with the model 71.
    Since you seem to be able to afford, I would suggest that the Finnwolf is probably more reliable than you might think and if that's your main concern, why not give it a chance? One hell of a nice rifle and will probably blow the doors off the Winchester at the range. Just don't dry fire a Finnwolf, though.
    Jlackey

7. kananaskis

kananaskis Member

"From what I have seen spare "anythings" for Finnwolfs are non existent",

Victor,

I've recently just purchased a Finnwolf (just before Christmas) and had it to the range this past weekend. Wow, am I impressed with it's function and accuracy. It blows the doors off my 88 and father's old 99, and just doesn't compare to our 94. As for spare parts, I've really had no trouble finding what I need. Just by getting on the phone and following up leads in one day I managed to find a rear open sight, front sight hood (spare), a third mag (spare), and firing pin (spare) and firig pin spring (spare). I've got a lead on original bases, but don't have my hopes up for those yet. I'm holding off on a peep sight until I get the bases.

It's too bad for a lever guy, you can't make the leap. That's alright it leaves one more gun out there for me to get.

Doug

PS: anyone willing to part with bases, I'd be interested, thanks.

8. mattimoose

mattimoose Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I always wanted one, but I just don't know if I'll see one while I have the cash. I bought a Browning Long-action BLR in 7mm Rem. Mag and had-it re-bored and re-rifled to .338 Winchester magnum. In my thinking, it is effectively my ultimate Moose gun. Sure I'd love to have a .338 Win. mag SAKO in a Mnnlicher Carbine, but I can't afford that right now. It's a little heavy for deer though, so If I could find a Finnwolf I'd probably use-it for that, but it is much easier to get a BLR in .308 I guess. I guess I'll have to sit and dream some more.

9. brownthomas48

brownthomas48 Member

I have a Sako finnwolf in .243 unfired. Would like to use it, but am concerned about firing pin breaking and the spare parts issue. Can you inform me as where to locate a spare? I have searched exstensively and have run quite a few ads.Presently I am using .308 and enjoy it. I may know of some original bases for you.

10. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I have a spare firing pin and pin spring. PM for further discussion. I am interested in the bases.-Misako

11. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    I have several. My Finnwolfs are personal favorites in my lever action collection, right along with my Winchester Model 71s, 64s, and Browning '86 carbine. Each model is distinctly different but all have the right feel in the woods and at the range. I own other levers, too, but not a Winchester Model 88 and never will as long as I have a Finnwolf to reach for!
    [​IMG]

12. kananaskis

kananaskis Member

13. brownthomas48

brownthomas48 Member

I am interested in the firing pin, and spring. I do have access to bases. You can email me at brownthomas48@gmail.com.
    Thanks, Tom

14. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Email sent-Misako

15. sakolou

sakolou Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    The Finnwolf is what the 88 wants to be when it grows up.

16. bigbear

bigbear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    After all these years.... just sold a Winchester 71:(, ( I still have :eek:5 winchester 71's. I was thinking of selling one of my Finnwolf rifles and reading this has talked me off the ledge. The guy that has been conniving to get one of my Finnwolfs is gonna be sad.

Cheers!