• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Why no 9.3 x 62 in the US?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Can't use my Sakos here as they are all bottleneck rounds
Sounds like a perfect excuse for building a .350 Legend on a Sako L46/L461!

I feel exactly the same as you about deer hunting. I killed my first buck in many years down on Spaher's place because it was the largest I've ever had a chance to take -- and I'll guarantee you that will put the excitement back into deer hunting. I'm also going to be sure to take a doe or two this year off of my own place since the area really does need some females taken to help the keep the balance.

I also greatly enjoy helping others hunt deer. I've posted a photo below of a guest of mine from last weekend. He hadn't had a chance to hunt deer in decades, so I told him to take any deer he wished. He had an opportunity at two bucks that were together -- one had larger antlers, but the one with smaller antlers had a larger body, so he took that one. Good choice. It turned out to be a fully mature buck with only a smallish 6-point set -- exactly the kind of cull you want to remove from the herd. Incidentally, although I didn't get a photo with his rifle, he was using a Bofors Finnbear .300 Win Mag with Hornady "American Whitetail" 150 grain ammunition. Range was 185 yards. The buck staggered about 5 steps with an entrance on the near side right through the shoulder and an exit behind the off shoulder.

IMG_0262 (1024x963).jpg

Hi Mr. Paulson!
Happy to see that you, like many hunter/shooters in our age group have evolved to the same mind set. I have been accused of operating a zoo rather than a hunting farm. I get much enjoyment watching young deer mature & develop to their potential., and I assume the same is in your case. Explaining the life cycle of deer and wildlife to young hunters and seeing when their understanding kicks in, gives a great sense of accomplishment. God has blessed us to get to this stage in life and I hope the tradition will continue for a long time to come. All the best!! B/T

It makes me feel good to see members of our group engaging in intelligent, responsible game management. Reminds me a bit of Finland, where the authorities manage herds very carefully, issuing many cow-only and even calf tags. The cows and calves are better eating than a bull moose, anyway.

I'm very interested in the metric calibers and always excited when I see one available. Here's a nice looking AV in 9.3x62. Oil finish.

I would also just like to say that I am so grateful for this forum. So many of the people here are just so generous with their time and willingness to share thoughts, experiences, and knowledge. It makes collecting Sako rifles an even more rewarding experience. I hope that I gain enough knowledge to one day be able to help pay it forward.
And... no one else cares about all of my Sako rifle thoughts (of which I have many!), so I really appreciate the fact that you guys do. :) 20211205_201651.jpg 20211205_201700.jpg 20211205_201742.jpg 20211205_201752.jpg 20211205_202053.jpg 20211205_202404.jpg 20211205_202429.jpg 20211205_202458.jpg 20211205_202536.jpg 20211205_202545.jpg

..... Can't use my Sakos here as they are all bottleneck rounds on the can't use list, so I feed my second passion & use my 58 cal 1863 .....

Paulson I seldom disagree with you. But, if you can't use bottleneck Sakos in Iowa, I don't think Iowa is a good place for me to live. Give up hunting with Sakos, I don't think so.

What does this mean? Please clarify.

Iowa used to be a shotgun slug only for the firearm deer seasons. Several years ago they started allowing straight wall rifle cartridges between 35 & 50 cal with a case length not over 1.8", with the exception for the longer cased 45-70, 444 Marlin & 375 Win. The bottleneck cased cartridges my Sakos are chambered for are not allowed. Just this year they have expanded the allowable cartridges to include bottleneck rounds between 35 & 50 cal. Don't ask me to explain it, as I can't explain stupidity. The regs are supposedly to limit the range of the bullet so it's similar to a shotgun slug. There are many farmsteads here in rolling terrain & the DNR logic is "high powered" rifles present a safety hazard to houses & buildings should we be allowed to use "long range" cartridges. I can use a 375 H&H but not a 243 Win, go figure!

Last edited:
Good monday!Gentlemen,
Here in Georgia, during the 1960s the DNR allowed the use of rifles to hunt deer & other animals.
Like Iowa GA was a shotgun only state, There was a lot of discussion related to the long range dangers of rifles. GA tried it and it was adopted as the data showed no additional dangers resulted. A good reason to lobby Iowa State Legislators using GA as an example & hopefully logic & reasoning will
change the laws to allow reasonable cartridges. GA is a lot more populated than Iowa, I would think,
and the land is not near as open as Iowa. Ask for a trial period to find out if the present rules are justified. "Ask & you will receive, Knock & it will be opened, Seek & younwill find!!! Good luck & keep pushing!! B/T

Don't ask me to explain it, as I can't explain stupidity.
Many, perhaps most, states attempt to define "legal weapons" for hunting various game and birds. It's a fool's errand. I've never seen a state's definition which would not exclude some excellent choices as "illegal" and included some perfectly absurd choices as "legal".

For instance, Texas only excludes "rimfire" cartridges for deer hunting in an effort to keep very small calibers out of the field (and make it easier to prosecute poachers using a .22LR). But I think that most would agree that a .44 Henry would be a more dependable round for deer than a .17 Hornet.

Iowa used to be a shotgun slug only for the firearm deer seasons. Several years ago they started allowing straight wall rifle cartridges between 35 & 50 cal with a case length not over 1.8", with the exception for the longer cased 45-70, 444 Marlin & 375 Win. The bottleneck cased cartridges my Sakos are chambered for are not allowed. Just this year they have expanded the allowable cartridges to include bottleneck rounds between 35 & 50 cal. Don't ask me to explain it, as I can't explain stupidity. The regs are supposedly to limit the range of the bullet so it's similar to a shotgun slug. There are many farmsteads here in rolling terrain & the DNR logic is "high powered" rifles present a safety hazard to houses & buildings should we be allow to use "long range" cartridges. I can use a 375 H&H but not a 243 Win, go figure!
I wonder if they realize what the upper potential of a modern day rifle chambered in 45/70 is.

Back