• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Why all the Wood?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

misako50

Sako-addicted
Ok - For all you guys with uncircumcised barrels. Just what exactly is all the extra wood useful for. I have never owned a Mannlicher style rifle or carbine so I have no way of trying to figure this out. Also, while on the subject, is anyone the proud owner of a "Deluxe" version of the fullstock Sako? It is written that there were deluxes in the fullstocks. Could be a misconception, however.- Mike
face-surprise.png

Hey Mike,
If you ever get lost while out hunting, the front section can be easily removed and used to start a fire and you can still use the rifle to defend yourself out to 25 yards.
face-wink.png

Regards, Will

The "uncircumcised" barrel does for the owner exactly what other uncircumsized possessions do for him -- serves as a source of pride and pleasure.
face-smile.png

One never says "never" when it comes to Sakos, but having looked at every single Sako to cross my path in over 40 years, I've never seen a Deluxe in either a Mannlicher or an HB, nor have I ever seen such cataloged. I've seen a few represented as "Deluxe", but the owner/seller clearly didn't know what he was talking about, like people who advertise a "pre-Garcia A-III" or an "L579 with third locking lug".

Will-I have been lost one time while out hunting with my Sako. The last thing that I would even think of is setting my wood ablaze. I think a true Sako lover would sooner freeze to death---but thats just my opinion.
face-devilish.png
-Mike

Mike! Never say never!!
Today I purchased a L61R rifle. I will use the action for an upcoming project of mine but I will be glad to set fire to the stock!
face-surprise.png

Or maybe use it as a tool for a gastro intestant survey of the Moron who destroyed it in the first place!!! From the wrong end!
face-wink.png

Put your sunshades on! ItxB4s ugly!
Jim

Attachments

• GetImage.ashx.jpeg
    GetImage.ashx.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 154
Jim- I thought at first glance it was interesting---- then I captured the pic and blew it up. You were right the first time. Too bad I sold my little Tikka Ithaca LSA. We could have had an ugly stock contest.
face-grin.png
-Mike

O.K. Mike,
How about this one. While sitting around hunting camp, bored to death, because your Sako short barrel carbine is so inaccurate, one could "whittle" away the hours on the easily removable front end and present to your successful long-barreled hunting buddies on return to camp, a gorgeous hand carved Mermaid to pay homage for their safe return.
face-grin.png

P.S. Got your photo's and am in a dilemma!
Regards, Will

Will- I have had some fun with this thread, but I was serious when I asked about the reason for the extra wood. For the life of me, other than great looks, what is it good for. I really want to know.- Regards, Misako

Hey Mike,
Sorry for to much humor
face-sad.png

Here is my take on the Mannlicher stock based on several years of research and quite a few opinions from Mannlicher lovers. As you know, most old military rifles used by the infantry were full stock rifles. Muskets, Krags, 1903 Springfield, 98 Mausers, M1 Garand's and on and on. Lots of these rifles became sporters and some kept the full stock and some did not. As I am sure you also know, the term Mannlicher stock became universal from the Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifles from Austria. These full stock models, (also made in half stock models), were rumored to be popular for mountain hunting, where the shooter could use his rifle as a hiking stick. Also, the full stock was noted to be an "alpine/woodland" thing in Europe. Shorter, lighter, with largest caliber being .30-06, and not the need to really reach out, but rather be light and maneuverable. Another reason I have seen stated from some European old-timers was protecting the barrel. From some I have talked to, putting a full stock on a sporting rifle was an attractive way to protect the barrel, similar to the reason for full-stock military issue rifles of the day. This a short dissertation, yet in my opinion and in modern sporting arms, it is all about looks. There are/were alot of modern firearms companies that mfg'd rifles in full-stock configuration and did it for one reason: Looks. Sako was and is the only company to mfg. a full-stock rifle that actually is not a full stock, but two separate pieces. I am not just a collector of Sako Mannlichers but I own and have owned full-stock rifles mfg'd by Mannlicher Schoenauer, Mauser, Heym, Steyer, Winchester, Ruger, Harrington & Richardson, Husqvarna, Whitworth/Interarms, Musketeer, CZ, Brno, Smith & Wesson, Kimber and so on. Interesting factoid is that Sako, with their ingenious two-part stock was the only company other than Firearms International's Musketeer FN action import to produce a full-stock rifle in Magnum calibers. I have a full-stock Musketeer in .300 win mag. I have shot full-stock rifles for quite a few years and while velocity is not what a 26" barrel would be, accuracy has never been an issue. As far as I know, and other than some high end custom European mfg. like Dumoulin Herstal in Belgium, only two company's mfg a commercial rifle in full-stock and that is CZ, 550 model FS (Full stock) and Steyer Mannlicher SBS Classic Mannlicher. With all of this in mind, I refer to the old Dennis Miller show where he ended his opening comments with; "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong".
Regards, Will

I always thought that the full stocks on military rifles were not to protect the barrel, but to protect the shooter's hands from the barrel. Without that wood, I doubt that a bayonet could be effectively wielded after a few rounds of rapid fire._
On civilian rifles, I suspect that full stocks are pure fashion, with perhaps vague military origins._
Sometimes style simply beats practicality. (Google "miniskirt vs. wind" if you have any doubts.)

Gents,

Whoever did the work on that L61 stock has no soul AND zero class. Still, you have a nice action to work from on a "custom" project. I'm assuming that your picked it up "right"...

Interesting Google info about the full stock. I always thought part of the reason was to protect the metal from the elements. Another reason we see so much wood on miliatry early military weapons.

Wes

Guys!
I let this one slip away to a guy I know! I have another one in the pipeline so...!
Just too ugly I guess!!
Jim

Jim,

THAT is the classic understatement. I never even dated a girl that ugly!

Glad you've got another "ugly stick" qued up...;-)

Wes

I agree with this, but will add that from my understanding at the begining of the 1900s the German Kaiser had a bum leg and used his hunting rifle like a walking stick. The extra wood at the end made that easier. The Kaiser being a trend-setting fellow helped the idea of keeping that wood all the way to the end of the barrel which was popular dating back to muzzleloading rifles and kept on military rifles into the modern cartridge era.

Guys, in Rock Island's catalog for the November 18, 19 and 20, 1996 you'll find many Sako's that we all wish we had including the Deluxe Mannlicher on page 89, the holy grail of 3 Safari Super Deluxes on page 87 and at least 30 or 40 more. If you order the catalog, don't ask for the sheets with the Prices Realized....you'll get sick.

setting fellow helped the idea of keeping that wood all the way to the end of the barrel which was popular dating back to muzzleloading rifles and kept on military rifles into the modern cartridge era. </p> -mannlicher said:
I agree with this, but will add that from my understanding at the begining of the 1900s the German_Kaiser had a bum leg and used his hunting rifle like a walking stick._ The extra wood at the end made that easier._ The Kaiser being a trend
I'd heard that, too. But full-stocked rifles go back way before the Kaiser in question, and they were standard in countries all over the world, not just Germany._

The story about the Kaiser and guns is that he had a withered arm and thus was fond of the Mauser Broomhandle and/or Luger pistols with a shoulder stock which could be handily fired with the use of only one arm. This story may or may not have any more credence than the one about the full stock rifles.

You know I never thought about it much but being from Alaska and all the pictures I have seen of mannlicher stocks where in cold weather I always thought it was to keep the barrel all the same temp. Its probably just because I live in cold weather climate and all the pictures are from here.
Darry

Latest posts

Back