Who Makes Sako Ammunition?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by South Pender, Aug 12, 2019.

1. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Sako branded centerfire ammunition is available to us in Canada, and I'm wondering who makes it for Sako. One is tempted to speculate that it is probably Lapua, given that they're both located in Finland, but is this the case? Another possibility would be Norma in neighboring Sweden. I notice that Lapua manufactures loaded ammunition for a lot of centerfire cartridges, but not .270 Win., which is what I'm looking for.

Any knowledge about this?

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
  3. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks for the article, marlin92--very informative. I was surprised to see that Sako actually makes their own brass. And it sounds as if it is pretty good. As a handloader, my go-to brass, whenever possible, has generally been Lapua, with Norma in second place. With Lapua out of the 270 Win. sweepstakes, I may purchase some loaded Sako 270 ammo and start from there. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate Sako unloaded brass in Canada.

4. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You're welcome
    Yeah brass from them isn't readily avaliable here in the US either and if you look at the list it's a shame as they even list 7x33 maybe since they are to start being involved that is something they can work on is getting their l9ading components available in Canada and US.

5. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    It's interesting that Sako loaded ammunition is available, but their brass and bullets (of which there's a wide variety) are not. The Sako catalog shows brass and bullets as available separately, but I don't see any evidence that Beretta in the US or Stoeger here in Canada have distributed it to retailers.

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It's unfortunate that Beretta has not chosen to distribute Sako ammunition widely in North America. It's great stuff and always has been. When I got my L469 carbine back in the 90's I managed to find one partial box of Sako .222 Magnum ammo. The groups from that ammo were one-third the size of groups shot with Remington, the only other .222 Magnum ammo available at the time. I buy Lapua ammo for my most precise and accurate rifles and I'd like the option to buy Sako ammo as well - especially in calibers like .222 and .222 Magnum that are more popular in Finland than they are here.

7. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Back in the Dark Ages......the early 1990's.....there was a distributor back east that sold factory new Sako brass in bulk.

I bought a few hundred in 22 Hornet, 222 Rem, and 222 Rem Magnum.

Over the years, I've used the brass in "special" rifles.

I wish I could buy more........but hindsight is always 20/20.....isn't it?!

BTW.......the case base diameter was usually slightly larger than Lapua.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas