Which rifle do I have

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Johnnycage, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Johnnycage

Johnnycage Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Like so many before me, I am hoping to find out what I have. To me it looks like a Garcia, made in 75. Oddly enough the dovetails are checkered and swivel sping studs are fixed.

What do you guys think? What do I have? How much do you think she's worth?

Attached Files:

deergoose likes this.

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    It looks like a standard 30-06 Garcia import with an older Leupold VariX II scope worth about $1000.00 with scope, $800.00 without...

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There is nothing "odd" about the checkering on the dovetails as that's how they all were made. The sling swivel attachment studs were standard practice when your rifle was produced. Not sure what you mean by "fixed". Kirk is being generous in his estimate, IMHO, as the L61R in 30-06 is the most common Sako ever.

4. Johnnycage

Johnnycage Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Thank you for your thoughts. I had read that mid 70's l61r's would have no checkering on the dove tail and swivel studs that rotate.

10-4 on the 30-06. I'm a Hunter so this will see Moose and Deer hunts. No safe queen here. I do hope to find another or two in collectable calibers down the road though.

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Sako offered a "Model 72" several years prior to your rifle that had uncheckered dovetails as their effort to compete with rifles with a lower retail price, but maintained their regular model production that had checkered dovetails at that time as well. Not aware of any sling swivel studs that rotate!! Prior to the swivel studs your rifle came equipped with, Sako provided one piece sling loop/studs that were affixed to the stock that many call a "fixed sling swivel". The sling would have to be looped through the sling loops & not be "quick attach" as your studs are.

6. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    You can get those odd aspects. I had a 20xxx SN 06 (still pre Garcia) that did not have the front sight on it.

The ones that did not have the front sight were the deluxe.

While you could work up quite the conspiracy that would get a deluxe barreled action (no different other rhtan the front sight) to a standard Sporter, it would make your hair curl (if you have any left, I don';t have much)

Ergo, they needed a barrel and grabbed one.

The deluxe is the barrel, floor plate and the stock.

One guy thought the site was taken off, hmm sorry, pure nice blue.