Which QD red dot sights/bases are there out there?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by cmk, May 16, 2020.

1. cmk

cmk Active Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    Hi all,

As my eyesight is now getting to the point where I really start to need wearing glasses, I have the possibility of starting to use a red dot sight again. Previously I had an Aimpoint 9000, but my astimatism made the dot into a blurry star, so I got rid of it.

Now I'm looking into complementing the regular scope with a smaller red dot sight, but I'd like it in a QD configuration, so that they can be switched as needed.

So which QD mounts exist for the Sako tapered dovetail? Primarily I would want the small kind of open red dot/reflex sight, like Docter Sight III, or similar, rather than a tube design. The key however would be to find a QD mounting system for it. And I believe that it would be best to have it mounted on front dovetail. I understand that there are a few 'standards' for mounting the sight to a mounting system. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight#Mounting_types), so if there is a manufacturer that makes a QD mount for Sako, then is is easier to narrow it down when it comes to makes and models for the sight itself.

Any experiences or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The issue with using only the front dovetail for mounting is the two piece picatinny rails for Sako dovetails are perhaps not long enough to properly support a Docter Optic or similar sight. If I were considering this type of sight, I’d use a full length rail like a Contessa or similar. This way the sight sits properly and is in full contact. This will also allow you to adjust the position forward or back because you’ll have multiple slots to choose from.

Most all red dots utilize a picatinny mount to affix to the base. Then you can pick from several brands of QD rings for scope mounting. Obviously height and diameter are also a consideration . Then you could switch quickly between the two sights. Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    cmk likes this.
  3. cmk

cmk Active Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    Thanks for the quick reply! However, I don't understand the picatinny thing. That is one thing I want to avoid in general, as that is mounting yet another base on the dovetail (dovetail + picatinny base/rail + QD mount + sight). Also, all my other scope mounts are for the native dovetails. I agree that the red dot sight might not be fully supported length-wise, but it should probably be sturdy enough, no?

The ability to move the sight forward and back makes more sense for a normal scope, but isn't eye relief more or less a non-issue with red dots?

It seems like Osuma and Henneberger, and maybe MAK make bases that fit onto the dovetails, and they come in either Aimpoint or Docter interface standard. But I don't know if they are QD, and there may be other manufacturers I haven't heard about yet.

Thanks!

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I completely understand not wanting another surface between the sight and the dovetail. I believe this is where the problem lies. Personally I’ve not seen any direct dovetail to sight system. That’s not to say one doesn’t exist, I simply have not seen any sort of crossover as there is probably is zero demand. Maybe something could be fabricated to provide what your after. Best of luck.

To ad - yes eye relief is typically a non issue when using a red dot. Most are typically mounted on AR platforms and are mounted ahead of the ejection port, but it’s mostly personal preference.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All reflex sights like you describe are QD. All you need is the torx wrench to loosen the screws. I remove & replace my Trijicon RMR sight all the time that way & never lose zero on handguns with Picatinny rail mount. Picatinny slots are wider than the Weaver type & square, rather than round. The rail that fits the Sako dovetail is about your only option, but they are solid & should not cause any problems. Trijicon sells their mount separate from the sight & you can get one with QD levers if you don't want to carry the little torx wrench. The mounts are very thin & bolt directly into the sight, so it is a one piece unit. My RMR requires no batteries & is visible in total darkness. It has the triangle reticle which allows good precision using the tip as your aim point or quick acquisition of close moving targets using the whole triangle. I also use it on a muzzle loader rifle. Best reflex type sight I have ever looked thru.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The only way I can think of to mount a QD red dot on Sako dovetails without adding a Picatinny rail would be to find an older red dot with a 1" tube and mount it in Warne QD rings. (The Warne rings might also have been made in 30mm, but I've never seen a set. 30mm rings would make it a lot easier to find a red dot that fits.) Aimpoint and Millett used to make good-quality red dots that mounted in rings, and I'm sure there were others, as well as a cornucopia of Chinese junk. The only drawback here is that neither the rings nor the ring-mounted sight will be easy to find.

I have a similar setup on a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, a Millett red dot in Ruger rings. I picked up the sight, in near-mint condition in the original box, at a gun show for 30 or 40 bucks. It works fine. I'd have to look to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that as long ago as that sight was made, it was made in Japan, not China.

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    There is one method to attach a picatinny rail directly to the dovetails; both sides of the chamber that I have seen on a `shooter` grade Sako; although I would not do it. That is to drill and tap the dovetails. I love my Eotech with 3x multiplier behind it. Works great even though I was told about 25 years ago that I had astigmatism and in his words"you need glasses real bad." and had some made for me. I still can`t wear them. Wayne

8. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The Contessa rail for Sako dovetails utilities set screws along the sides so drilling and tapping is unnecessary. As paulson has eluded to - then you purchase a picatinny mount (QD or torx) for your given optic and your done. I have a Trijicon reflex (amber traingle) with a LaRure QD double throw mount on an Aero Precision rifle. This works very well as my flip up irons will co-witness. I like Eotech but struggle with the hologram washing out. I have an astigmatism too. icebear points out a possibility regarding round optics, but even those can be purchased with a QD mount to picatinny rail, ie, Aimpoint Patrol etc.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Wayne likes this.