Which ones to purchase?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by pakula, May 29, 2015.

1. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Been offered some good rifles of late sako mauser 270 custom engraved at factory,L46 222 deluxe,super deluxe 7mm not anniversary model and last but not least 264 deluxe 3 digit serial number. So i'll throw it out for discussion as to which you believe is more desirable or collectable.

2. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
  3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    If their all in equal condition. Then I would pick the .264.

4. scottbitterman

scottbitterman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    first would be the 264 then the 46 deluxe

5. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    A .264 with a 3 digit serial. In a Deluxe no less. Wow. That one would be my pick.

6. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I would buy them all except for the Mauser (unless I could verify 100% the stock is factory).

7. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    emmerth is right. Buy them all or you'll be sorry. Wow, sounds like a great set of Sakos. Does the .264 have a 26" bbl ? Please post pics.

DeerGoose

8. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    DeerGoose - .264 has 26 bbl, 3 lug bolt, should have s type floorplate release,but has later push button type and no front sight? Find that a mystery. L46 deluxe mag is not engraved ? Are the magazines all supposed to be engraved? I'll post pics when I buy them to be fair to the owner. Does anyone have a pic of a sako-mauser stock

9. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Paluka...IMHO...a 3 digit L61R should definitely have the early s-type floorplate release with silver / fine engraving. The L46 should have engraving (gold / bold if very early or silver/ fine on the later models) on the bottom metal and magazine...I have seen one deluxe L46 that did not have any engraving at all, and it left me suspicious of being a parts gun. I've not owned a Sako Hi-Power (Mauser) so I can't help there. Do you know the ser# on the L46?~Bloo

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  10. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Bloo- l46 serial is in the 46000 era. .264 has the sakolope floor plate serial 5##. Still nice rifles , like to shoot what I buy so we'll see how it goes.

11. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I have an L46 Deluxe #468XX, it has gold/bold Oak leaves and acorns and the fox head juniper inlay on the grip cap. The very first deluxe stocks had sharp pointed diamonds on the grip cap, then a slightly rounded diamond, then finally, the vixen or fox head which has remained unchanged.
    I also shoot and hunt with all my Sako rifles....that's what they are for. Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase, one or all ~Bloo

12. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The .264 has to be a put-together gun, or at least the bottom metal has been swapped even if the rest is original. The stock should have the slender grip and narrower fore end. I would think that the barrel would have a front sight at that serial number.

It is not uncommon for an L46 to have a replacement magazine as detachable magazines get lost all too frequently. But the bottom metal didn't fall off of the .264, so coming from the same source would make me a bit leery of the L46, also.

The Deluxe versions of the Sako-Mauser are exceedingly scarce. I've only seen one and it had the "fishgods" engraving on its floorplate. The stock has skipline checkering and a contrasting fore end tip much like the Deluxe L61R but the fore end is round instead of triangular.

If the guns are not original it doesn't mean that they are worthless. They might make fine shooters, but you should give no premium over the value that their condition and appearance as shooters would be.

13. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    (Sigh)....fishgods....:(~Bloo

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  14. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I know this post is a little old but, being a lover of the Sako HP's and MM's this talk of a deluxe model has put me on a quest now for these fish gods. Can someone give any greater detail on the subject of this myth/mystery/legend. I must have one. I must!!!!

15. vigo

vigo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hello Esox,
    You will find plenty of myth/mystery/legend here. Most of the "rare" rifles you will see and here about here or on the market are indeed rare. They were mostly custom, special order, demo's, market testing, limited run/edition, gifts, or non-U.S. imports that made it to the U.S. etc. etc. If you are looking for a "Fish God" engraved floor-plate Deluxe, I wish you all the best of luck. There were numerous different engraved patterns/scenes that can be found on the floor-plate and trigger guard for the Deluxe model's (Vixen, Forester, Finnbear) and I have no idea about why there are differences in the patterns/scenes, which mostly are found during the L series actions. There are more knowledgeable experts here that can address your questions regarding the Deluxe models and the engraving variations. I am also a big fan of the High-Powers and Magnum Mauser's. Carl

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Esoxlucius likes this.
  16. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Did you happen to get any of these pukula in the end? You know the correct answer to 'which ones should I purchase' is always all of them:) Be interested to see some photos if you happened to snag any of them. Any of them would be pretty nice to have in the safe.

17. pakula

pakula Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Opted out as the 264 was a put together gun as stonecreek suggested. A person I know bought it and he was spewing when he searched the serial number and found the gun on another site sold as a standard model. He was furious when he found the bolt didn't have a number on it. Having said that I did secure a L46 carbine 222 from the seller that was the real deal.

18. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi and welcome. If you have the money, buy all of them.

Please post some pics so we can enjoy your good fortune.

rick

19. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Man, I would love to see the Sako Mauser 270 engaged. The Sako Mauser I bought in 37hh had an engraving done by an amateur engraver of a bear on it. It's not bad but it wasn't super well done. But still really cool. From what the seller told me was it cost him a dollar for the guy to do it. I love guns with stories. Someone should start a Great stories behind your Sako rifle thread. Would love to hear them.

Esox

20. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania

Carl, I noticed in my search of history of the HP's and MM's, that you could order one in the fifties and have a custom stock fitted to the rifle. Have you run across any type of this information. Also, if you would know, how do you tell if you have a sako stock on your HP or MM?

Esox