Which gr ammo is better for .222 50gr, 55gr or 62gr.

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by werner nel, May 5, 2015.

1. werner nel

werner nel Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Good day. I
    I have a .222 Riihimaki.
    Which gr ammo will you guys say is more accurate for this rifle.
    50gr
    55gr
    62gr
    I have used 55gr and my accuracy is very good. about half an inch grouping on 100m and 4inch grouping on 300m.
    with 55 gr on 100m my grouping is 2inch.
    I have never used 62gr. Will this also work well?
    Thanks.

2. sourdough44

sourdough44 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Besides any groups you have to say what the use is? That may be target, smaller 'varmints', or larger game? In my 223 I have used many types of bullets, depending on what I'm gearing up for.

I often choose the common Sierra 52 grain Matchking if I'm testing accuracy at the range.

3. jminger

jminger Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I have same rifle early '60s. Shoots phenomenally well ( 0.25 moa @ 100 meters) with the Speer 50 gr TNT varmint bullets. On the other hand any plastic tipped bullets it hates and won't shoot them even 2.5 moa, with same everything just a bullet change. The sierra 52gr matchkings work well also, but not a great a varmint bullet. I was alway happy with the Speers as I was getting the best accuracy, they are a true varmit bullet for hunting, and best of call cost less than the others. Hope this helps.

4. terenceh

terenceh Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Interesting that you should mention the Speer 50 gr TNT varmint bullets, because in over 40 years of hand loading for my 0.222 Rem L461, and having tried most makes (Varmint and Match) in the 50-55 gr range, these Speers were the most accurate!

5. pk1

pk1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    My 222 liked 52 grain Sierra Matchkings for accuracy. Not the best for hunting, tho.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Ditto on the 50 grain Speer TNT. In one of my .222's it is exclusively what I shoot. Economical, accurate, and deadly on small varmints.

Conversely, I've had only moderate success with the 55 grain TNT in a couple of larger .22 Centerfires.

7. Jeffrey Harvey

Jeffrey Harvey Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Looking to load some 222 using Hornady 50gr SPSX bullets with Hodgdon BL-C 2 powder. Any experience with these bullets & this powder?

8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Both the bullet & the powder are well suited for the 222 Rem. Whether they work well in your rifle is anybody's guess, but odds are in your favor.