Where to find new stock for AV Mannlicher in 338

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by +Templar+, Nov 5, 2018.

1. +Templar+

+Templar+ Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    I have a really nice AV Mannlicher in 338 win. The stock split in half right at the crossbolt. Does anyone know where to find a new factory stock? Do they even exist? Thanks in advance for your time.

-Cody

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The usual suspects - Gunbroker, eBay, a WTB ad on this and other Internet boards. You might want to join a couple of other collector groups just to get access to their trader boards. Also, depending on how bad it is, it might be possible to have a really good stockmaker/gunsmith repair it. A guy here in Tucson fixed a badly cracked stock for me on an old Finnish military target rifle. I do stock work but the job was beyond my skill level. It was expensive, but those stocks are very hard to find.

You could also get a blank and have a custom replacement made by a stockmaker with a duplicating machine. That would be expensive, but it's an option.

3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    My local gunsmith repairs cracked and split gunstocks using a very simple technique. Clamp the thing together and use super glue. The crack wicks up the glue with no overspill and in a jiffy the thing is fixed.

rick

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas