Where have all the rear sights gone ?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by wildbill, Nov 19, 2012.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

I see this all the time,a vintage Sako advertised for sale with the caption original front sight,where have all the rears gone? One not much use without the other.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/962871244/SAKO_243_L579_Sporter_Bofors_Stee.htm?wl=1

- PRICE REDUCED - SAKO Collectors - Here is a mid-60's SAKO .243 Sporter on the L579 action, with a "Bofors Steel" marked barrel, black pistol grip cap, double lined checkering panels, and correct factory vintage sight hood, all specific to that era. This gun has had the swivel rings removed to facilitate quick detachable sling swivels. Other than that it is 100% original and in 95% conditon. Satisfaction is Guaranteed.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Wildbill,

Welcome to the forum. Most likely, there was a peep sight on the rear dovetail - they are often missing since/when people started adapting to scoped rifles, they took them off. I run into peep sights among my things now and then that I forgot I even had.

Also, regarding the front sight, hunters often lose the hood over the sight. That's what he means by "original front sight".

Regards,

S-A

3. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    To my knowledge, the pre-'72 Sakos didn't have rear sights. Garcia changed that. Remember that scopes sucked in the old days.

By the way, I've looked at that rifle on Gunsamerica several times. Not bad, I say.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Wildbill: Most early Sakos (1940's-early 1950's) came with open rear sights, as did most Sakos intended for the European market up through the 1950's and into the 1960's where open sights remained popular longer than in the U.S. Early rear sights were soldered to the barrel.

Recognizing the popularity of telescopic sights on rifles, most Sako production shipped to the U.S., beginning sometime in the 1950s, was equipped with only a front sight and no rear open sight on the barrel. This was because Sako, and its importer Firearms International, correctly assumed that almost all U.S. buyers of the upscale Sakos would choose to mount a scope using the integral dovetail scope bases on the receiver. But to make an easy option readily available for the minority of shooters who wished to use iron sights, Sako produced the peep sight which would mount on the rear dovetail. This removable sight was intended to satisfy both those who wished to use iron sights as a primary system, and as a fail-safe for those who wished to use a scope, but who could quickly dismount the scope and replace it with the peep sight if the scope were damaged in the field or on a hunt days away from home. Sakos of this era did not come equipped with the peep sight as standard, but it was a very inexpensive ($7.95) accessory available from Sako dealers. There are lot of the slip-on peep sights in circulation, and there are about three different versions of the peep sight, all being very similar in design.

Shortly after Garcia took over as the U.S. importer in 1971 they asked Sako to make a slightly "downscale" rifle which could be sold for a bit less money than the standard Sako in an effort to broaden their market. The result was the Sako Model 72, which used the identical Sako barrel and action a bit less finely polished. One of the features of the Model 72 was open rear sights attached to the barrel with screws. This was Garcia's effort to offer a rifle for the less well-heeled shooter which could be used just as it came from the box without the expense of buying and mounting a scope.

Sakos have always been available, especially in Europe, with factory rear sights. But in the U.S., unless special ordered, most of them came with front sights only.

By the same token, the assumption was made that people who bought the Deluxe would be affluent enough that they would forgo the iron sight option entirely in order to have a clean barrel sans any sights, thus the majority of Deluxes came without front or rear sights. Front sight were an option on Deluxes, but a minority of them came so equipped. I suppose that the distributors reasoned that anyone who could afford a Deluxe could not only afford a scope to go on it, but could also afford a second rifle to carry on hunting trips as a back-up, thus they felt no need for the peep sight emergency option on the Deluxes.

But as with anything Sako, there are always exceptions and digressions. Don't take any of the above information as exact; only as a general guideline regarding Sakos found with and without one or more of the sights required to aim them.

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

The reason I ask was that all I have had still retained the original rear sight.This L461 in 222 Mag went to AU about a year ago.My L46 in 22 Hornet also still has the original rear sight.
    Just curious.
    Thanks

Picture 791.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Bill,
    i think your question is two part, Yes many rifles came from the factory to the US without the rear sight. Many, if not all early rifles to Australia and the domestic market carried the sight.
    One of the favourites over here, is to get a angle grinder and remove the ears off the rear sight base so a scope can be installed.
    Oh did i mention the very first L469 i bought back 15 years ago, a dream come true, until i unwrapped the parcel, the previous owner had trouble fitting the scope as the rings where to low, so 'No problem' out with the grinder and remove some steel from the barrel to make a flat section so the scope would fit. 'Pure genius' I wish i was that smart!

Back to the sight question, early on, i spent many hours and travelled countless miles looking for sights , mags, sight hoods, oh and 7x33's. Most turned up at gun shows. But i bet there are drums full of them some where, so when you find them, let us know.

7. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I saw a Finnwolf at a show that apparently got the grinder treatment. Scope too big? Mounts too short? No problem! Just grind off part of the barrel. Then when you go to sell your rifle you can keep your valuable scope and just sloppily fill in the ground-out section with J.B. Weld. Add a dab of cold blue. Presto! Parts gun!

NPhillips likes this.
  8. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Ha Haaa Ha! The best part is the 'Cold Blue' That will hide anything!
    Like New again
    L-46

9. kim keen

kim keen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    have you ever saw one that never had front or back sights that came from factory like that