Where are the metric Mannlichers?

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Real Forester, Oct 17, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

1. Real Forester

Real Forester Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    Good evening all. I've decided I need a Mannlicher and have been shopping online for a while. I like the A series and L579 actions more than the current Bavarian Carbine. Very tempted to take one of the .243s on GI but I think I'd rather hold out for a 6.5x55, 7x57 or 8x57. How long do I have to wait? In the last 60 days I've seen one 6.5 advertised and it looked rough. No 7 or 8mm. Did Sako not produce many in those calibers? I have a few Sakos because that's what I prefer to hunt with, but I'm not a collector and not very knowledgeable about Mannlichers. If its going to be a difficult find then I'll reconsider the .243.

2. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Well, there was only one AV 7x57 imported, search for that recent saga. I've seen a few 6.5x55's but never for sale. I don't think I've ever heard of an 8x57, in any guise. A- series Mannlicher or Kokotukki's are .222, .222mag, .223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270, 7-08, 7mm Rem Mag., .308, .30-06, .300 win. Mag, .338 win mag, and .375 HH. I might have missed a caliber or two. There is an old thread on this I believe.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  3. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I am
    Assuming you are in mainland America? I've been looking for a 270 or bigger for about 2 years in Australia have been tempted by the Steyr but not wooed.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If you want a Sako Mannlicher-style carbine in a metric caliber, bring money. I've followed two recent auctions, one for a 7x57 and one for a 7x64. Both closed well over $3,000. For comparison, after losing out on the 7x64 Mannlicher, I bought a near-mint 7x64 AV sporter from the same seller for $1200. So the premium for a metric Mannlicher over a regular sporter can be as high as $2,000. (In terms of performance, the 7x64 Brenneke is all but indistinguishable from a .270 or .280. While it's a popular hunting caliber in Europe, Its value in the USA is as a collector's curiosity.)

There's a Sako Mannlicher in 6.5x55 currently on Guns International for somewhere in the $1500-1600 range. (Or at least it was there a week or so ago - I haven't checked it lately.) However, it has some condition issues and has been stamped with the dealer's name (this is common practice in Germany, and I think the dealer is a German). There's also one in 9.3x62, but that isn't the original caliber; it has a custom barrel and stock. Sako did make the AV Mannlicher carbine in this caliber (a friend of mine has or had one), but they are also very rare. The friend very kindly sold me his AV sporter in 9.3x62, but he hung onto the carbine. The 6.5x55 is probably the least rare of the bunch, but it is still seriously hard to find an pricey when you find one if the condition is any good.

As Stonecreek said above, it's highly unlikely that Sako ever built any L-series or A-series guns at all in 8mm, let alone a Mannlicher-style carbine. The only 8mm Sakos I'm aware of are a few FN-Sako sporters in 8x60 and 8x60S Magnum, which are seldom seen in the United States.

I am a fan of the Mannlicher style guns, and I have half a dozen Sakos in full-stock configuration, but no metric calibers. My full-stock Sakos are an L461 carbine in .222, a very rare L469 carbine in .222 Magnum, an AIII carbine in .30-06, an L46 rifle in .222, an L461 rifle in .222, and an L579 rifle in .308. There's a big hole in the gun safe for a metric caliber. I've even thought of having a custom gun built, which might not cost a whole lot more than the auction price of a factory original, and would indulge my taste for the classic style buttstock and fancy wood.

Guns in .243, .30-06, and .270 can be found at relatively cheap prices. Your best bet might be to get one of those and have it rebored or rebarrelled to a caliber more to your liking. I've thought of doing that myself, but my barrel guy has been making himself scarce lately.

Good luck and good hunting.

5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I've seen the 9.3x62 in an AV hunter, An AIV Safari grade and an L691 Kokotukki. Entirely possible that there are a few AV Kokotukki's about. I don't think that this Caliber was actually marketed in the US. It is extremely rare, I'd bet on them being bring backs. BTW, I missed out on the AIV and 691. I did assist in the AV going to Canada tho'.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here's an AV Hunter in 9.3x62, with a 1.5-5x Leupold Vari-X III in Sako low rings.
    AV-1.JPG AV-4.JPG

7. Real Forester

Real Forester Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    Thanks to all for the education. Guess I’ll look more closely at some of the .243s online now. Maybe to satisfy my itch I’ll get the 243 mannlicher, an 8mm black bear and a 7x64 grizzly. I’m sure the wife would understand. There’s a 25-06 on GI that would be interesting but I’m curious why the seller doesn’t include a pic of the bolt.

8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Icebear. I can't recall, does yours have an importer stamp?

9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    No, just "Sako 9.3x62 Made in Finland" on the barrel and AV and the serial number on the receiver. I always figured it was a bringback because of the European sights.

10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming

I have the same sights on my Stoeger AI .17 Rem; on my early AV Stoeger .338, and a bring back AII .243. ?!? Your 9.3 is gorgeous.

11. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Interesting - most of the US-market A-series guns I've seen are without sights, except for the carbines. Of the ones with sights, almost all have Williams sights, not the ones on my 9.3 and your two Stoeger imports.

12. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I would agree in part. There aren't many out there with iron sights. Maybe that's what draws me to them...I have Six others with iron sights, the M78 .22lr and AII .308 carbine I just got have the fugly Williams rear sight; my other 'Late' AV 338, my P94s hunter and the two bring-backs that I bought here (AII Deluxe .308 and AI .223 hunter) all have the newer 75/85 style rear sights. I like these a whole lot better, aesthetics-wise. See pic.
    that [​IMG]