Sako TRGs What's your experience with scopes on 338 LM TRG?

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by inkognito, Jan 3, 2010.

1. inkognito

inkognito Member

I have had a TRG-S .338 LM for years and I am finally going to put a serious scope on it. _I have just about made my final decision to mount a Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56. _The Hensoldt 4-16x56 was a close second. _Ultimately the Schmidt and Bender has more adjustment and magnification. _(The Hensoldt 6-24x56 does not offer reticle on the 1st Focal Plane and does not offer near the adjustment as the S&B, otherwise that would have been my choice.) _I just wanted to see what others might be using for this same rifle? _Any comments or suggestions? _Thanks.

2. hayseed51

hayseed51 Well-Known Member

Think a lot depends on which side of the pond you're on. Some German glass, but more US Optics and Nightforce.

Isn't Hensoldt owned by S&B now? Dick

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    inkognito,
    All nice glass aforementioned. I have a TRG 42 in .338 LM. I use the Zeiss Diavari 6-24X56 (30mm) and am quite satisfied with it. The Finnish Army uses a special version of this scope made to their specs. Different turret adjustments for extreme cold weather for one. All scopes mentioned are contenders for this cartridge, the Zeiss may be criticized by some as vulnerable to punishment. Aren't they all? My 42 is suppressed, so there is no issue (if there is one to begin with). Oh, it is also illuminated mil dot reticle.
    Good Luck,
    S-A

Attached Files:

4. inkognito

inkognito Member

How much adjustment do you have with your Diavari?

5. inkognito

inkognito Member

hayseed51: Hensoldt is the military division of Zeiss. _I fell in love with the Hensoldt and really wanted that one, but I just can't justify paying more and getting less magnification and (more important) less adjustment than the S&B.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    inkognito.
    Square adjustment @ 100 m = 122cm
    " " @ 100 yds. = 3.7 ft.
    Per click adjustment @ 100 m =.5cm
    " " " @ 100 yds = .18 inch
    Hope it helps,
    S-A

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Reticle is in second image plane
    S-A

8. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Another contender in this category of scopes is Premier Reticles. A friend of mine , who used to be a sniper instructor in the Swedish Army, bought one recently. And he made a test where they compared a lot of scopes used for long range shooting. And it came out pretty good.

Since I am not that knowledgebable about these things, take it for what itxB4s worth! Just wanted to say that there are other brands than the usual S&B and Zeiss/Hensholdt.

regards

Jim

9. 390ish

390ish Member

I run a 3-10x Swarovski on mine. Holds up just fine.

10. clumpster

clumpster Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I've used a NightForce 5.5-22x50 but now have a SIG Tango6 5-30x56 mounted in a AI mount atop a Near 40MOA Pic rail. Both are nice scopes.
    Great rifle!