WHAT SAKO IS THIS?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Jim Ritchie, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Jim Ritchie

Jim Ritchie Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I just inherited the Sako 30-06, but there is no indication of what this model is. I have attached photos that show the serial number, made in Finland and other than the 30-06 on barrel under the scope there are no other markings. It is the only one that i have seen with the safety in the bolt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am new to the forum...
    Thanks, Jim IMG_20200812_202025.jpg IMG_20200812_202040.jpg IMG_20200812_202139.jpg

ricksengines likes this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You have an FN-Sako High Power, made in the 1950's before Sako started the L61R series. Sako got bare Mauser-style actions from Fabrique Nationale in Belgium, added a Finnish barrel, and sold the completed guns in US and European markets. In the United States, these rifles are most often seen in .30-06, .270, and .300 and .375 H&H Magnum. They were also made in some European calibers such as 8x60S-Magnum, but those are seldom seen in the US.

The FN-Sako is an excellent hunting rifle and also somewhat collectible. There were some variations over the years in triggers and safeties. The Mauser type safety on the bolt identifies it as an earlier version; later rifles had a Sako trigger with the safety built into the trigger mechanism. If you post some more photos of the complete rifle, forum members can tell you more about it and whether it is completely original or not.
    Here's a photo of a similar rifle from my collection. The lower rifle is an as-built .30-06 similar to yours; the other one is also an FN-Sako, a .300 H&H with a custom stock.
    2 Rifles .JPG

3. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    What a jem!

4. Jim Ritchie

Jim Ritchie Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Icebear, thank you for all the great info about the rifle... it looks almost identical to the one on the lower rack in your photo... per your idea, i have attached some more photos to better tell if all is
    original.(It has one little imperfection in wood on left side under bolt) I have fired it a few times, (kicks like a mule, LOL). The scope is Norman-Ford out of Tyler, TX with Weaver rings. Let me know your thoughts and thanks again for the excellent response.
    Rogan, thank you for the compliment...

Attached Files:

5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    An 06 with no recoil pad will let you know it is there. I suggest a PAST recoil pad that you can wear at the bench. It is like a vest type shoulder pad.... and welcome

Charles Witt likes this.
  6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks like your rifle is in near-new condition, and that's a very nice piece of wood. I see nothing that does not look original, but there are guys in this group who know more about these rifles than I do. The only differences I see between your rifle and mine are that yours has the two-leaf flip sight like my .300 H&H, and yours has Weaver mounts on it rather than the very scarce bolt-on Sako dovetails. I think my rifle was originally sold in Europe; the ladder-type sight is or was more popular there than here. Most US-market guns had the flip sight.

You've got a great classic rifle there. Let us know how it shoots!

Charles Witt likes this.
  7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    +1 on that. I keep a PAST pad in my range bag, and I also sometimes wear a T-shirt that has a built-in pad.

8. Charles Witt

Charles Witt Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    +2 for the PAST.

Good looking gun. I like that it has the Mauser safety.
    I have one in my collection; a 30-06. It has the FN Mauser action, but does not have the early style Mauser safety, like yours has. It has the same style safety as the L61R.
    Mine has folding leaf open sights marked for 100 and 200 yards and a hooded front sight.
    Icebear, I haven't seen those bolt-on Sako dovetails yet. Now I'm on the lookout!
    20200813_013541 - Edited.jpg 20200813_012957 - Edited.jpg 20200813_013104 - Edited.jpg

icebear likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You have a later version of the FN-Sako. Somewhere in the middle of the production run, Sako changed from the original FN Mauser trigger and safety to a Sako trigger unit. And good luck finding those bases. I don't know that I've ever seen a pair for sale separately. Mine were on the rifle when I got it, as were the weird almost-like-original-Sako rings and the German scope. Those rings are not the Spanish knockoffs, they are something else. I've never seen another pair like them and I've never found anyone who can tell me who made them. I suspect they are from Germany but can't verify it. They are completely unmarked 26mm rings.

The other rifle in my photo has East European knockoffs of German EAW pivot mounts.

Charles Witt likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako's #4 trigger, which was used on later FN-Sakos, apparently dates to 1959 when it was introduced along with the L579, the first Sako centerfire action which used a trigger safety instead of a bolt safety. Of course it is possible that Sako was already using this trigger on its FN-Sakos and designed the L579 to use it. We've had very few requests for factory record information on the Sako-Mausers (we only have shipping and not inspection records for them), but it would be interesting to see if there were Sako-Mausers made prior to 1959 which had the Sako #4 trigger.

Interestingly, although the Sako-Mauser was replaced by the L61R in mid-1961, Sako continued to produce and ship some Sako-Mausers up into the mid-1960's, several years after the L61R was in production. As we've surmised, Sako never let anything go to waste.

Charles Witt likes this.