What Sako is it?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Faust, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Faust

Faust Member

Country Flag:
    Germany
    State/Region:
    DE Baden
    Gents,
    I recently bought a Sako L 579 (A2) in .308 win with features I can't find anything about on the net.
    Being a complete newbie to rifles, I shot 100m with it for the first time in my life and I liked the result!
    I'm interested if you Sako experts can help me find out, especially about the UIT rail and the hair trigger (is that the correct term? In German it's a 'R├╝ckstecher').
    Please bear with my english, I'm german.
    Here are some pics.
    Sako100m.jpg This was my first rifle shooting ever at 100 metres.

Sako1.jpg

Sako2.jpg

Sako3.jpg

I had an experienced shooter try it and wow, even with the cheapest ammunition, he shot a very small group.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

2. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Looks like a standard L579 or A1 that has been customised/modified by inletting an Anschutz style rail into the forend. You often see this done on rifles used for F-class shooting.

Without seeing any photos of the trigger on the barrelled action out of the stock I can only guess that it has an aftermarket trigger installed to replace the Sako No.4 trigger, which generally only adjusts down to somewhere around 1.5lbs.

Marcus

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Looks like a nice rifle and your hair trigger is more commonly referred to as a single set trigger.

4. Faust

Faust Member

Country Flag:
    Germany
    State/Region:
    DE Baden
    Thanks, Marcus for the input, indeed the barrel says it's a L579,
    here are some pics of the trigger (I didn't disassemble the system yet):
    Sako Trigger1.jpg

SakoTrigger2.jpg
    @gowyo: Yes, thanks for the correct term!

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Faust,

You have a Canjar single-set trigger.

Be very careful should you attempt to disassemble the rifle. Do you have instructions for the proper use of the trigger?

6. Faust

Faust Member

Country Flag:
    Germany
    State/Region:
    DE Baden
    kevinlg, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, I just googled the trigger, as I never heard of it.
    It seems to be very well reputated and that fits my experience. I find it to be very crisp and clear and the set trigger works very well, it's a pleasure to shoot.

I just found an instruction pdf and will be very careful when disassembling. Right now there is no real need to, anyway.

This forum is exactly what I needed, I learnt more in one day here, than in weeks of googleing into the blue!
    Apparently my rifle was modified for the better, now I just need to learn to shoot it accordingly.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There is never any need to apologize for your language here on the SCC forum. We enjoy hearing from people all over the world and appreciate your efforts to write in English so those of us who are "language limited" can share your experiences.

Your rifle is the Heavy Barrel model, designed for shooting from the bench at targets, or at long-range "varmints". It is also well-adapted to hunting from a blind ("stand", "hide") as is popular in Europe.

The closest I've been to your home, which indeed must be a beautiful place, is the Munich area. I was surprised to see hunting stands right up to the entrance of the Munich airport!

deergoose likes this.
  8. Faust

Faust Member

Country Flag:
    Germany
    State/Region:
    DE Baden

9. Faust

Faust Member

Country Flag:
    Germany
    State/Region:
    DE Baden
    Thanks stonecreek, for the encouragement.
    Indeed, I live where others spend their holidays...
    Being raised in the city, I wouldn't trade my almost rural life for anything.
    Still, Munich is well worth visiting.