What Sako 222 has a normal stock? (No raised cheek)

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kulskar, Jul 20, 2021.

1. kulskar

kulskar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Hello Friends,
    I have a two typical Sako 222 Riihimaki from the 1950’s and 1960’s with the cheekpiece/straight comb which is ideal for a scope. Yet this raised stock prevents a normal view using the iron or peep sights: it is nearly impossible. I have vague information that earlier Sako’s had a more normal European dropped comb which was truly intended for use with iron/peep sights. I would like to acquire one of these so I can appreciate the iron/peep sight options. Does anyone know what model or vintage of 222 I should be looking for to get this normal comb? And if you have one to sell, I am interested. Thank you Sako friends.

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hello Kulskar,
    Could you post a couple photos of your rifles , may help to understand your situation better. All L46’s have a cheek piece, the earliest models had a flattened “Pancake” type on a straight combed shoulder stock. It changed slightly but remained straight combed until around the early 60’s, as the popular “Monty Carlo” style took over, with a raised comb and more robust cheek piece.
    From you description, you should have both examples already .. unless I misunderstood. That is highly possible

Hippie

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    L46's made from 1946 until about (there are no "bright lines" with Sako changeovers) 1957 or 1958 had "straight" stocks with no Monte Carlo hump. These combs were somewhat lower than the post-1957 Monte Carlo-style stocks. The early straight stock model combs are low enough that they are perfect for using iron sights, but are lower than optimal (for most shooters) for a mounted scope.