• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'll add one to the mix....

My old hunting/fishing/gun show pal left me this nice single-shot.
It's a custom small "kangaroo" martini in 17AB.....with Fajen Aristocrat wood, Shilen #2 20" barrel, and Lyman 8X scope on a Leonard Brownell custom base. Circa 1968.....Knight's Gun Shop, Ft. Worth.

It's great for calling coyotes.
17-ABMartini.jpg

I'll add one to the mix....

My old hunting/fishing/gun show pal left me this nice single-shot.
It's a custom small "kangaroo" martini in 17AB.....with Fajen Aristocrat wood, Shilen #2 20" barrel, and Lyman 8X scope on a Leonard Brownell custom base. Circa 1968.....Knight's Gun Shop, Ft. Worth.

It's great for calling coyotes.
17-ABMartini.jpg
Beautiful wood and a nice checkering job on that stock!

Hi fellow shooters!
My long time non Sako rifles are the Interarms Mark X in .243. I have killed many deer with it, ( lower rifle in the pic.) When I was younger I could shoot some sub. MOA targets at 200 yds with Federal primium 100 gr, bullets @ 2960 FPS. My other non Sako is a Weatherby Mark 5 in .30/06. It likes 125 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips @ 3,000 Fps and shoots sub MOA @ 100 yds,
(sorry no pics) I had zeroed 3" high @ 100 yds. & put a golf ball on top of the target frame, held the cross hair @ the bottom of the top board & launched the golf ball some where in S. Carolina. Killed many deer & hogs with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpg
    IMG_5659.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 7
Kax,
I have to ask about the pants you’re wearing? I know I’ve seen them before but cannot remember the brand. I’ve worn Filson wool in the extreme cold, very effective. Thanks.

Mine is a Remington 700 Classic (circa 1982) in .257 Roberts. Absolutely the most polite blacktail rifle.

View attachment 25609 Ugly gun entry, non-Sako, CZ 527 .22 Hornet.
Ranch Truck/field gun with plenty of wear & still going, scratched & chipped stock, most bluing gone but like a Timex. Used on many coyotes & > 100,000 lbs of feral hogs over the years. Older 2-7 Redfield scope beat up tube & scratched lenses but holds zero. Front sight knocked off by impact

That is ugly, but this might be uglier! Savage Model 24S-D double gun (22 wmr over 20 gauge). The wear and tear isn’t mine but I plan to add to it. It will be my “truck gun.”

9955304981675424d34fe56fbc842a5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kax,
I have to ask about the pants you’re wearing? I know I’ve seen them before but cannot remember the brand. I’ve worn Filson wool in the extreme cold, very effective. Thanks.

Mine is a Remington 700 Classic (circa 1982) in .257 Roberts. Absolutely the most polite blacktail rifle.
Melton overalls
Melton was a western New York mill that went out of business around 30 years ago. There was a fellow who had a huge pallet of size Large tall overalls at a hunting and fishing event I attended.
I cut off the extra length from the bottom of the legs and sewed them down the fronts.
I should’ve bought more than one pair as they only cost me a sawbuck.
The shirt is a Woolrich.
Filson, Johnson, Pendleton, Earlys’ Whitney Point, Codet, Brandini, even Colombia, whenever I see 100% wool at a good price I reach for my wallet.
There is no need to reinvent the sheep.
I always wanted a polite rifle too.

The only rifle I own other than my SAKOs is a Pre-War Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that was willed to me by a late Gunsmith Buddy. I built the stock for him 25 years ago and he never once fired it since. Before he died I promised I’d kill something with it for him so it’s going with me on every trip hunting till something dies!

Attachments

• 06164A74-9F78-4199-A371-3007F4A2352F.jpeg
    06164A74-9F78-4199-A371-3007F4A2352F.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 4465ACD4-F230-4CEC-80A3-688667EA2803.jpeg
    4465ACD4-F230-4CEC-80A3-688667EA2803.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 22
  • C62832AF-7C2A-4D6C-A9B3-17198A484C98.jpeg
    C62832AF-7C2A-4D6C-A9B3-17198A484C98.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The only rifle I own other than my SAKOs is a Pre-War Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that was willed to me by a late Gunsmith Buddy. I built the stock for him 25 years ago and he never once fired it since. Before he died I promised I’d kill something with it for him so it’s going with me on every trip hunting till something dies!
Nice work on that stock!

I have hunted with: Lee-Enfield, H&R, Remington, Ruger, BSA, Husqvarna, Sako, Tikka, Mauser, Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Steyr-Mannlicher, and Kimber, and now Brno.

mjTb699.jpg

Last edited:
Most of my rifles are Krico's, West Germany. They are of high quality, not all that well known. There are moderate Krico numbers in Australia.
These two rifles are my son's, who is left handed. Left handed Krico's are scarce in Australia. These are both interesting custom builds, based on the Krico 600 Deluxe action featuring the "butter-knife" bolt handle.

The 5.6 x 50 magnum is made by Bill Marden, Sydney NSW in 1988. The owner commissioned two rifles, Right and Left handed to the same standard, inc Double-Set Trigger (4oz -set), EAW swing-off mounts and Khales scopes. The cost was approx $2,500 ea, very expensive for the time. I do have the receipt and will post when I can find. You can see the "WM" signature engraved on the barrel, as he did. Bill Marden was the founder of Simplex reloading in Australia.

The target - style also features the 600 Deluxe, Butter-Knife bolt action, Krico Match Trigger (6oz), 30 inch 1-7 heavy barrel and adjustable stock. The gun shop advertised the rifle as 5.6 x 50 magnum, however on arrival we soon realised it was actually an unfired 223 Rem Match barrel. This actually worked out better for us. Both rifles are very accurate. I trust you enjoy. Scott

IMG_1287 (2).JPG IMG_E1288.JPG IMG_E1283 (2).JPG IMG_1284 (2).JPG

I have several Kricos and they are excellent shooters made with the usual German craftsmanship. One in .222 Magnum with double set triggers is a favorite of one of my grandsons when we go prairie dog hunting.

Many are aware that Anschutz, another more famous German manufacturer, built some .222's on Sako actions until they introduced their own action for small centerfires. So far as I know, Anschutz never made an action for larger centerfires, but they did use a Krico action on which they built .243/.308 class chamberings. They are rare, but I know where one is at. The only reason I don't buy it is that I already have a Krico in that caliber.

I have several Kricos and they are excellent shooters made with the usual German craftsmanship. One in .222 Magnum with double set triggers is a favorite of one of my grandsons when we go prairie dog hunting.

Many are aware that Anschutz, another more famous German manufacturer, built some .222's on Sako actions until they introduced their own action for small centerfires. So far as I know, Anschutz never made an action for larger centerfires, but they did use a Krico action on which they built .243/.308 class chamberings. They are rare, but I know where one is at. The only reason I don't buy it is that I already have a Krico in that caliber.

Thank you, that’s interesting, I was unaware. That explains why I have only seen one .243 Anschutz advertised over here and it was snapped up immediately. I really like the roll-over comb on the higher grade Anschutz stocks.

It seems if you own one Krico centre fire, you will certainly be buying more.
Scott

Thank you, that’s interesting, I was unaware. That explains why I have only seen one .243 Anschutz advertised over here and it was snapped up immediately. I really like the roll-over comb on the higher grade Anschutz stocks.

It seems if you own one Krico centre fire, you will certainly be buying more.
Scott
I've just found the add for the .243 Anschutz. It was very cheap too.

Yes, clearly a Krico action.
Scott

IMG_1290 (2).JPG

Just wrapping up a stock refinish & barrel browning of a late 1960's Navy Arms "Buffalo Hunter" built by Antonio Zolli. This rifle isn't a reproduction of any rifle, but a modern creation conceived by Val Forgett, founder of Navy Arms. It's based on a 1863 Zouave Civil War musket. The stock has been shortened & the barrel, not only shortened as well, but beefed up with very heavy walls. It's a 58 caliber. Val used these rifles he had Zolli make to hunt the Big Five in Africa to stunning effect. They can be loaded with up to 200 grains of Black Powder!! Forgett settled on a load of 180 grains of BP under a 600 grain thick skirted Minie bullet. I can't imagine shooting that load as my load of 100 grains of the Holy Black launching a 280 grain patched round ball rattles my teeth a little. Lot's of fun to hunt with & everything shot is DRT! If you believe, as I do, that big bullets making big holes is the way to hunt, this rifle will affirm that beyond any doubt. BTW, the powderhorn is made from a real Buffalo horn. The possibles is home made.

Buffalo Hunter.jpg

Last edited:
100 grains of the Holy Black launching a 280 grain patched round ball rattles my teeth a little.
A recoil pad instead of a brass buttplate would help a great deal, but it wouldn't be very authentic, would it? I guess it's a good thing it just shoots once!:D Beautiful example of an effective period weapon, Paulson.

Back