Short Actions What makes the L461 action special?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Humble308, Jan 28, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Krico rifles were at one time sold in the USA by an importer who had previously imported Husqvarna. The importer had trademarked the brand "Husky" and he used that brand name for Krico rifles. The Krico is a well-made piece. I have one in .30-06; the Krico medium and long actions are basically a better-built copy of a Remington 700. I don't know if the short (.222) action is a Krico original or if it is derivative. The short action Krico has a good reputation for accuracy.

2. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Derek, besides the compactness and beauty of the L461, the feature on Sako L & A series rifles that make them particularly attractive to me, is the bolt guide. Sounds trivial, but for me especially, it's a big deal. I lost use of my right eye while working for Uncle Sam. So by default, I now shoot all my right handed rifles off my left shoulder. The bolt guide does more than just smooth the feel of the bolt, it's there as a very important safety feature. It fills in the locking lug race on the right side when the bolt is in closed position. This was the reason Mauser designed the long extractor, which was carried on by Winchester, Ruger, CZ, the mini Mausers (except the Hornet).

And Sako took the design a small step further, by putting a vent hole in the bolt, that lines up with a vent hole in the guide once the bolt is closed. In the event of a case rupture, or catastrophic failure, the bolt guide and vent holes direct gas and small particles in perpendicular directions to the shooter, on both sides of the receiver.

northernlights likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Right! Remington 700 owners often "improve" the marginal extractor of the 700 by installing a Sako extractor. But without the bolt sleeve in place a case head failure directs gas and particles (and perhaps the extractor itself!) straight backward toward the face of the shooter through the new gap machined into the bolt face to accommodate the extractor. Using a Sako extractor makes for more positive extraction on a 700, but creates a potentially hazardous situation for the shooter since there is no bolt sleeve to block the opening.

FLT likes this.
  4. FLT

FLT Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I hadn’t thought of that, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

5. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes indeed, I often seen them around $300-400. Stuggart, the city they're made is just a few hours from where I live. Definitely be cool to get my hands on one.

I appreciate the insight into your experience with the L461. For the time, I returned the one I bought to the dealer as the accuracy wasn't there, stock wasn't correct and kept getting shafted on the mounts being in stock for the size I needed. I might look in the Sako a bit more when we return to the states, it seemed like a fine rifle and operated flawlessly. I appreciated the hinged floor plate and the bolt cycled smoothly...it felt like a "real" rifle. I often see the Foresters for sale in .243 that look interesting, I may look at one of those as well. Not enough gun safe space for them all. All the best.

6. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Absofriginlutely. I get guys asking me all the time to machine 700 and model seven bolts for Sako, or more popular M16 extractors. I won't do it. It's not safe.