What is this? 6 lugs?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Norway.375, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Norway.375

Norway.375 Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Agder
    Screenshot_20181112-081212_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20181112-081157_Samsung Internet.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It is exactly what it says it is, a Sako L581. It was apparently a joint effort with Tikka (long before Tikka and Sako were affiliated), and Tikka produced a similar rifle. The scope mounting dovetails are identical to Tikka and Sako rings do not fit them.

The various sources disagree on how many of these L581's were produced, but the serial numbers went up to around 1700. They were a medium length action and were made in .243 and .308 using a detachable magazine.

I've never seen any narrative explaining why this brief interaction with Tikka, nor why the gun had such a short run.

Norway.375 likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'm speculating here, but I would guess that the project was dropped because the sales did not support the additional production cost of the multi-lug bolt. It has some advantages, notably a slimmer action and shorter bolt throw, but the cost of production has kept it from replacing the traditional two-lug bolt. Sako has changed to a three-lug bolt for current centerfire rifles, but it is the traditional style with wide lugs protruding from the bolt body. Sauer and Steyr have used narrow, multi-lug bolts to build high-end rifles, but they are expensive. I have a Steyr SSG with a multi-lug, rear-locking system and it is fantastically accurate, and I used to have a Sauer 202 with a bolt similar to the 581; it was also a tack driver. I wouldn't mind having an L581 myself, but it's not at the top of my wish list.

Norway.375 likes this.
  4. Norway.375

Norway.375 Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    State/Region:
    NO Agder
    The rifle is for sale in Norway. Mint in the box. I don't know if it is a shop or a privat man who is the owner.