what do i have?

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Avonac, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Avonac

Avonac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I just picked up a Sako in 30-06. It has Bofors steel stamped on the barrel but there are no other identifiers. it has iron sights with a flip up rear blade for distance. I assumed it was a L61R but also thought that would be stamped on the gun. serial # is 111xx1

IMG_4629.jpg IMG_4630.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    fw71 likes this.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    You have a nice example of a Sako ‘Hi-Power’ built on an FN Mauser 98 action by Sako before they started manufacturing their own long action L61r.

3. Avonac

Avonac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks, I wouldn’t have guessed that. Now I just need to figure out what I’m going to do with it. Is there any value?

4. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    If I were you I would get to know it better and use it to hunt with.
    It has a great value as a" bringer home of the bacon".
    Sorry I couldn't resist.:D
    Welcome to the club.

5. pow

pow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Your gun is a common caliber, and I would appraise it at $600.00

6. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Nice looking rifle. May we see more pictures please?

7. icebear

icebear Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Sounds low to me. I don't think I've ever seen an FN-Sako that was all there and in decent shape offered that cheap, regardless of caliber. .30-06 is probably the most common caliber, followed by .270 and .300 H&H. .375 is relatively scarce, and 8x60 is pretty hard to come by in the U.S.A. That's a nice clean looking rifle. I'd value it at $750-800, maybe a bit more if the buyer is motivated. If I saw that rifle on a gun show table for $600, I'd grab it and walk away whistling a happy tune. And I already have one like it in the same caliber.

Unclekax, deergoose and arthur36 like this.
  8. Avonac

Avonac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks guys. The gun is in decent shape. The only flaw is the blueing looks rough. The caliber is what I was looking for. It was wrapped in a blanket in an old guys attic. I paid $300, so I feel ok about it

9. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    you done good ! I'd clean it all up with solvent and wipe clean, then polish the bluing with Flitz metal polish. My bet is that it'll come back to life !

DeerGoose

10. icebear

icebear Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That's a great deal on an FN-Sako that is all there. However, "rough" bluing might be a red flag, depending on exactly what "rough" turns out to mean. If the surface is rough, it might mean that the bluing is blistered and ready to flake off from pitting underneath. Or not. Not having the gun in front of me, I can't judge, but you need to see what is causing the roughness. As Deer Goose recommends, a good cleaning with solvent and maybe a mild metal polish is the first step. If the surface still looks rough, I'd go over it with fine bronze wool and Kroil to see if the finish comes off and there's rust underneath. A blued surface can look rough just because of caked-on crud, or it can look that way because the underlying metal is corroded. But, for what you have in the gun, even if it needs to be refinished to deal with rust and pitting, you're still ahead of the game.

The wood in the photos looks really nice. It's impossible to tell anything about the condition of the metal without closeup photos. My guess as to value was based on the (unstated) assumption that the metal looked as good as the wood.