What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by MadScallywag, Nov 4, 2019.

1. MadScallywag

MadScallywag Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Morning all- First, let me say I have long desired a Sako rifle. While the one I recently acquired doesn't necessarily tick all my boxes, it at least gets me in the game! I've spent way to many hours looking at Sako stuff recently, and had no idea how involved/diverse some of the models were. I'm already considering selling off a bunch of my 700's and M77s to make room for more Sakos ! (once I have a better grasp of what i'm looking at and the features I really want)
    So, the rifle I got recently is an L579 in 243, with a heavy barrel. 60's vintage I think. Bofor's marked. I'm pretty certain the stock is a replacement, as I haven't seen any thing exactly like it yet. Also, the LOP is 13 1/4", and has a Pachmyer butt pad (that fits very nicely, btw).
    I would appreciate any info you guys would like to contribute regarding age, model, etc.. I have put in a request for information from Factory Records Service.
    Also, if the stock is not an original, any info on replacements would be great. I understand an AII may fit, but not sure with 20191104_061343.jpg 20191104_061530.jpg the floor plate metal i have. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I have the same rifle. Bofors heavy barrel in 243. You are correct, that is not the original stock. I did happen to see an original HB stock on fleebay last week, not cheap though. Mine is a shooter also.

fleebay item number 303341272980

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    l should add it does have the fixed sling swivels and grip cap so it should be close to period correct for you rifle.

4. MadScallywag

MadScallywag Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thank you, i saw that as well. are you shooting factory loads in yours, or custom? what kind of groups do you get with it?