• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What can you tell from serial number

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

JHelmer

Hey foks. Im new to this forum and a new riflehunter aswell. Im about to buy my first rifle and lucky and old collegue of mine told me he would like to sell his old SAKO.
The thing is he can't tell me much about it except that it is .308 and full stock.
I got a picture of the serialnumber:

AII 3

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Your AII is the medium length Sako action. It is the same as the previous L579 action except it has a shroud on the back of the bolt & the AII stamping denotes this modification. The AII stamping change started late 1977 or early 1978 with serial # 327116, so I would guesstimate your production date in the late 70's. Sako did not produce rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers & their records are sketchy & incomplete so that's as close as one can get without the factory hang tag that came with the rifle. You have just acquired one of the nicest, most balance hunting rifles ever made, IMHO. The Mannlichers are less common than the sporters & generally bring a slight premium if in equal condition. Great find!!! I think the chamberings offered in the AII were 220 Swift, 22-250, 243, 7-08, & 308, if my memory serves me correctly.

Paulson is correct that the "official" designation of rifles imported by Stoeger was changed to the "A" series from the "L" series in the late 1970s. However, it has been my experience that most rifles up until the early 1980s still came stamped with the "L" designation. Sako was famous for long lags in changeovers, and for using previously-marked components long after a name changeover. Sako continued internally to use the "L" designation on their actions even though stamping them with the "A" designations.

Thanks alot for the answers. What would a reasonable price be without the scope? It havnt fired many shots and the condition is great.

Prices for rifles vary tremendously from country to country (as well as seasonally), so it's hard for an American or Australian to say what it might be worth in Denmark. A rifle like this one might bring around $1,200 plus or minus a couple of hundred in the U.S. The scope is probably a serviceable one, but it is an older and inexpensive Asian-made model which doesn't add much to the gun's value. The original Sako rings do add $50-$100 of value.

My best guess, and it's a guess only, is that you would be getting a huge bargain at 5000 DKK, and might still be lucky to get it for 10,000 DKK, depending on how strong the market for rifles is in Denmark. Our forum leader, L61R, is on holiday with his family for the next week, but being across the strait in Sweden he would probably be able to give you a much better idea of a fair price.

I see. The prices in Denmark are usually a bit higher than those in the U.S but I think i can get it for 5 or maybe 4.000 cos he is good colleague of mine. Im definetely gonna change the scope but are you saying that i can reuse the rings that are currently attached?

Yes, you can use the rings on a scope with a 1" tube, the size most common in the American market (Leupold, Nikon, Weaver, some Zeiss, and of course the current crop of Bushnell). The rings are the "low" height, so the maximum objective diameter will be about 32mm. The Bushnell Banner was a mid-line scope (neither the best nor the worst) in the Bushnell line in the 1970's. However, in a fixed 4x, assuming it has no damage or other problems, it will be very usable if you wish to keep it for a while.

If your friend will sell it to you for 5,000 or less you should buy him lunch and a six pack of Carlson's to say thanks.

Thanks again for the answer. Im going to see the rifle again tomorrow and I will post some pictures as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back