What calibers were AIII Classics built in

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by txhuntquail, Feb 10, 2018.

1. txhuntquail

txhuntquail Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I would like to know what calibers the AIII classics were built in?

I've seen 270, 7 mag and 30-06. Any others?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    What calibers they were built in & what calibers were imported into the US are probably two different lists.

3. txhuntquail

txhuntquail Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Do you have those lists?

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    No. I'm not even sure the AIII was offered in the "Classic" version as it had such a short production run. I know the AV was & it was offered in both standard & magnum calibers, but which ones specifically I have no idea. 25-06, 6.5x55, 300 Win Mag would be possibilities. The 7x64 & the 9.3x62 were European offerings. 338 Win Mag & the 375 H&H are other possible magnum chamberings.

5. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    This doesn't add much, but there's a test of the 'new' Sako Classic in the April 1983 issue of Australian Sporting Shooter by Nick Harvey. He describes it as an "L61R Finnbear chambered for the .270 Winchester cartridge..". He makes reference to a Forester Classic in .308 as a lighter rifle to carry in the hills. He also says "The stock is genuine American Walnut with plenty of attractive figure and a good looking oil finish. The wood itself on my sample is fancy grade with plenty of grain and contracting colour."

There is a photo of the receiver but I can't tell which A model it is. Nick is still alive and has fantastic records, if he still has the original photo he'd be able to say which A model it was.
    At the end of the article he says " The elegant new Classic model is available in all of Sako's centrefire models but, naturally it doesn't come cheap. The Vixen and Forester versions sell for $829, the Finnbear for $883 and the special Safari Grade for $1,674."

Using the Australian Reserve Bank's inflation calculator, in today's money that would be approximately $Aus $2607, $2777, $5264 and using today's current exchange of 1 Aus dollar = 78 US cents, that roughly equates to $US $2036, $2119, $4112.

As taxes and middle men mark ups are different in the 2 countries, it's only a rough guess as their value in US dollar terms. Between 1983 and now, the Australian tax charged at retail level has changed from the old Sales Tax system (which had 3 levels and I don't remember which one applies to rifles ) to the current Goods and Services Tax which is a flat 10%.

More trivia - sorry to the OP, this takes the post right off track.
    One of the big Sydney gun shops (Smiths) has their Sako prices listed in the same magazine for their normal rifles (Smiths were a very big gun business in Australian terms and ran full page ads in the magazines for years listing the various brands and discounted prices). So a comparison can be made. All numbers below are Aussie dollars.

Sako Sporters .17, .222, .223, .22-250, .243, .308 List price $671, Sell price $537 Sell price calculated via RBA to today $1688
    Sako Heavy barrel rifles List $703 Sell $563 Sell price calculated via RBA to today $1770
    Sako Finnbear .25/06, .270, .30/06, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .375 List $774 Sell $567 Sell price calculated via RBA to today$1783
    Sako factory mounts Sell $71 Sell price calculated via RBA to today $223

Today in Sydney - via a quick google flick - The cheapest Sako is an 85 Hunter - wood & blued at $2340 inc GST. And a Sako 85 Varmint wood & blued is $2345 inc GST.
    So in 2018 money, those Classics would be very roughly in $Aus $3600, $3800, $7300; and in $US $3200, $2900, $5700

Assuming the Classics were available today at those numbers - would you buy one?

Cheers
    Piper

PS: I apologise for some of the formatting, esp the list & sell prices etc - when I save the post it changes the layout.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If the "test" of the new Classic was in 1983 then it was an AV.