What calibers are most sought-after?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by stonecreek, Jul 23, 2017.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    deergoose and Unclekax like this.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice line up there Kirk, you've certainly lucked onto a few of late. Well done.
    I only just parted with a couple of the old Zeiss
    3-9 Diavari's and they appear to sit nicely on those rifles. I suspect that the bolt handle of the Bee would make contact with the large ocular bell ?

3. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I got a B&L Balvar 2.5-8 and base with the Hornet and replaced the Zeiss scope with it. When I got the 218 Bee, I put that Zeiss on the Bee. No problems with scope/bolt clearance...

thumbnail_IMG_3423.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3430.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  4. Kwills

Kwills Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    And that is how I bought mine...

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Re-reading these old posts jogged my memory of the huge mistake I and 2 other guys made when we were teamed up trying to buy nice pre-72 Deluxe Sako collections to split up among ourselves. That's not easy because we each always wanted the most-sought after caliber in the collection for our self. Then in 1998 we found 17 deluxes with almost all US calibers represented. The guy wanted $16,000 which we agreed was a little too much money. I drew the short straw to go look at the rifles and try to negotiate a better deal. The guy wouldn't budge on price, so we started trying to find buyers for the rifles none of us wanted. Except for one rifle, we found buyers for all the ones we didn't want. The one we didn't want that we couldn't get rid of was a second run Deluxe 7x33. The rifle was all original and in about 90%. We probably asked about 10 people we knew if they wanted the 7x33 and they quickly said no. Since we had already determined the 16K was a little too much for the 17 Deluxes, we passed on the collection. Remembering back it seems like it was only a couple of years later that everyone started looking for a 7x33. Live and learn !

Rocky, sraaw, susanna and 4 others like this.
  6. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Wow! I hear and feel your pain douglas. But I think that we might have all done that at one time or another.

I remember when I first started collecting Sako's and was watching an auction. At that early time in my collecting I had no idea which calibers were rare or which ones weren't.
    So I passed on all the rare hard to find calibers, for instance a 244 Mannlicher, Hornets, and others. But smart o'l me, I managed to win the bidding on a Mannlicher in 7 mag.

Such a fool I was.

7. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Douglas two So do you know where the 7 x 33 landed?

8. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I don't know where any of the 17 rifles landed.

9. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    As my grandmother used to say "too soon old and too late smart".

douglastwo likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And then sometimes you just have plain old dumb luck:

When I was 14 years old I was determined to buy a Sako with my summer wages from working on the farm. My "source" was Gibson's Discount Center in Abilene, Texas, and having read holes in the pages of Jack O'Connor's articles in Outdoor Life I had my heart set on a .270. Well, by August when I had accumulated the necessary $139 I went to Gibsons, and to my dismay found that they had only two calibers of Sakos in stock: A "pedestrian" .30-06 and a fire-belching .264 Magnum. Being far too sophisticated at that age to shoot such a common caliber as the .30-06, I "settled" for the .264 and brought it home.

I still have that .264, now over a half-century old, and while I'd never sell it, it is of course, a much more valued caliber than either the .30-06 or the .270.

By the way, about 30 years later I did come across a mint Bofors .270 which I purchased, and it has become my "go to" rifle when I'm serious about taking a whitetail.

11. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Douglas two Well I’m guessing since your in Texas the guns belonged to Mims?