What calibers are most sought-after?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by stonecreek, Jul 23, 2017.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As a spin-off to the thread on how calibers impact the price of a Sako, let's ask this question of everyone:

What is the most sought-after caliber in a Sako of any vintage?

Everyone has his own "holy grail" (or if you're a target shooter make that "holey grail":)), but what my question is aimed at is to get opinions of which caliber or calibers bring the largest premium when found in a factory-original Sako. This could conceivably vary by which part of the world you're in, and even change as fads and trends change.

My best guess (at least for the United States) would be the .218 Bee. But that is only because the .25-20 was never imported and not enough people even know this chambering exists to create an ongoing demand for it; otherwise I'd say it was the .25-20. Some might say it is the very limited .458 Winchester, and others might point to one of the scarce (at least in the U.S.) metric calibers which were never imported here.

So how about it? What is your nomination for the Sako caliber that earns the highest premium?

susanna likes this.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
  4. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Not coincidentally, those three calibers, .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, and 7x33 are all calibers chambered only in the L46's (I assume Paulson isn't talking about the M78 Hornet). I guess it's not surprising that the earliest and original Sako is also the model in which the most sought after calibers were chambered.

I think I would give the nod to the .218 Bee as probably bringing more money that either of the other two (all things being equal, which they never are.) However, I wonder how an L46 .25-20 walnut sporter would sell compared to any of the others if it popped up on a U.S. internet site?

6. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    This one brought $4750 US plus the buyers premium etc. Considering the open sites had been moved/modified and also later milled bottom metal added and canjar trigger to the rifle it would be interesting to see what an original rifle may make.

L462520 hackedup.JPG

deergoose and stonecreek like this.
  7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey, that's a great reference, Topgear! Thanks for posting it. How long ago was this auction and was it Amoskeag? I would have expected a .25-20 to have the earlier left wing safety, but the illustration proves there were some later ones chambered.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I saw the barreled action for a 458 winchester on an estate auction site (along with a 270 and '06 I believe) I bid $2400 and was out bid of course. Later, I'm almost positive I saw the same gun being resold at $4200.

9. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Probably 2 years ago and yes it was an Amoskeag Auction from memory.

There are a few right hand safety L46s in .25-20 around. That one above would have the Sako top. I have a couple with checkered tops that I've posted on the forum before. The one below is the youngest one I have or have seen.
    http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/l46-25-20-deluxes.10613/

susanna likes this.
  10. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I would take the Bee and the 7x33. I'm still kicking myself for not getting more aggressive when I bid on the Bee that was modified into the 218 Mashburn Bee. I bid pretty high for a modified rifle like that but still it would have been neat to own and shoot.

rick

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    If we're talking US calibers then, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, followed by the 244.

deergoose likes this.
  12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Perhaps this is the one you have seen: https://www.gunauction.com/buy/13944622

It has been lingering on Gunauction.com for a while now with an asking price of $3,400. Of course, it is only a barreled action and presumably a finished factory Sako rifle in the same caliber would be somewhat more valuable. Anecdotal tales say that the .458 cracked the standard Sako stock, so only a handful of those were released from the factory.

GreyFox likes this.
  13. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Stone, I can't tell, the photos won't load? The one I bid on was in the SAKO box, I'd planned to put it in a Fiberglass stock and hunt it - still contemplating a 416 build one day, on a SAKO action, of course....

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well, our nominees for most sought-after caliber now include .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-20 Win, 7x33 Sako, and .458 Win. All are certainly attention-getters in the market.

How about we break it down by model?

For L46, perhaps .25-20, followed closely by .218 Bee.

For L57 -- no one has mentioned it but there were some early ones in .222 Magnum. If we only consider those which went into commercial distribution, then it must be the .244 Rem.

For L461 -- .223 Rem, but only because of a shortage of .222 Magnum ammunition. But, in my experience a .222 Magnum will bring more in a Deluxe than other calibers, so there is plenty of room for opinions here.

For L579 -- .244, no doubt, right? But then there were a few 7.62x39's made on that action?

For L61R -- .458 Win, but since there don't seem to be any actual factory rifles out there, if we limit it to completed rifles then the .300 H&H takes the prize.

A-series: 6.5x55? Or would it be one of the PPC's? Also, the .280 Rem is usually a hot number.

Differing opinions welcome!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  15. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A pretty good list. For me personally the 7x33 holds a lot of nostalgia and is the rifle/cartridge which kicked it all off for Sako so at the top of my list. A second run 7x33 L46 is a pretty special rifle in my eyes.

The one I'd really like to find is an L461 in 7.62x39.

16. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Stone - A friend of mine has a 7.62X39 brought back from Europe. As he states it, were very common but no Americans wanted the Commie round!
    This was back when you could buy firearms at the rod and gun club and ship them home.

17. GreyFox

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Yeah, that's it I'm 90% sure. Pictures finally allowed me to see the box, I'm pretty sure that's it.

18. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    My A-series quests are the 6 PPC sporter w/ iron sights, and as I cant get it out of my brain, a 9.3 x 62. I'm not even sure the 6ppc was made with iron sights.

19. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good point! I neglected to include that under the L461 heading, but some were made on the little action. I have an A-I sporter in 6mm PPC (sorry, go wyo, no sights) which is the same basic case as the 7.62x39.

Regarding the L61R, see this thread on a small lot of rifles in .308 Norma and 7x57: http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/a-couple-of-rare-calibers-in-l61r.11769/

It was always a mystery to me why Sako didn't make the .308 Norma a regular production item. Sweden, home of Norma, was a significant market for Sakos, but the only .308 Normas were coming from Schultz & Larsen in Denmark. It is understandably that Sako would have immediately started chambering the .300 Win Mag after its introduction in late 1963 since they could tell it would be important in the American market, but the L61R had been on the market for two years with only the rapidly aging (but ageless) .300 H&H as Sako's only .30 magnum offering. So why not the .308 Norma? The reason has probably died long ago along with the people who made the decisions.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I saw 2 6mmPPC's on just one site today & a couple of 280's, although one was a rebarrel, but I never see any 6.5 Swede AV's.