What’s wrong with this picture

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Old Hippie, May 11, 2021.

1. tilleyman

tilleyman Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Don't forget the original Australian Hillver/Lynx and Ausinel mounts... no screws to the top of the receiver dovetail!
    I always thought Ausinel a bit better designed and finished, they made windage adjustable Sako mounts that are similar in operation to the Leupold with a swivel front base and adjustable rear via set screws on each side.
    Ausinel Sako mounts.JPG

Ausinel Sako mounts 2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 1:55 AM
    Old Hippie likes this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I couldn't think of the Hillver/Lynx name when I was writing my post. As I understand it, the Hillver and Tasco mounts were basically the same thing. Ausinel is a new name to me. The Hillver/Lynx/Tasco mounts, or a version thereof, were later produced in Australia under the Sako name. I do not know who the actual manufacturer was. They are similar to the Optilocks but in my opinion a superior design, as they are adjustable for windage and much easier to align. I have a set, which I have used on a couple of different A-series rifles.
    Early Optilok 1.JPG

gowyo, Old Hippie and tilleyman like this.
  3. tilleyman

tilleyman Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Lnyx Optics are still in business!
    Agree their stud mount system is very solid and easily adjustable... L series dovetails are often a bit offset to the receiver's centre line, making windage adjustable mounts desirable.
    They still make the standard and extended reach bases for Sako L461, L579 and L61R... not cheap these days but at least available:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=106_114_138&product_id=376
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=106_114_138&product_id=375
    Ringmounts:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=106_152_156

Can update existing stud bases with new rings in a range of heights and 1" 30mm and 34mm diameters:
    http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=106_113

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    icebear likes this.
  4. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hey now, these are definitely what’s right with the picture. I have never heard of these before. (Which is not at all surprising)
    They do highly resemble the Opti-loc.
    Cool! Thanks for the links!

Hippie

tilleyman likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    A bit pricey, but it's a pity Lynx doesn't have a US importer. Thanks for posting.

tilleyman likes this.
  6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Those are what came with my .338. They market these as their low rings- 7.6mm/ .300" base to scope tube. I think they're too high for the Leupold 2.5x8 varix III I put on it.
    20210720_231043.jpg

7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agree. I have used the same set of rings for a 3.5-10x VXIII with a 40mm AO objective and they are about right. The 2.5-8x with its 36mm objective doesn't need to be that high.

8. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Yup! Sakohaulic!
    When we carry on conversation with a L579 on the way home, we are definitely stricken!
    I have a coffee can with several aluminum slabs of these abominations. Funny also because I too, remove them as soon as I get the gun home, crossing fingers, and yes, talking calmly and assuringly to the rifle while removing them! When they come off and reveal that there is no damage, I feel like we both are relieved…

Hippie

bigcountry4me likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    They can frequently be found on eBay, often not properly identified. Look for the opposing set screws on the sides of the rings to distinguish them from Optilocks.

Old Hippie likes this.