Weird chamber damage on P72 Hornet

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by icebear, Mar 19, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I have been having some extraction problems on my P72 Hornet, culminating in a major lockup the last time I had it out to the range. Took it apart and found burrs on the edge of the chamber. I'm confident I can fix it with a fine gouge slip or maybe a diamond Dremel burr in a pin vise - but I'm mystified as to how it got this way in the first place. The only thing that contacts the chamber face is the brass casing, and brass is a lot softer than barrel steel, so what buggered up the chamber face? It's a mystery.

While I've got the thing apart, the mag latch spring is broken so I'm making one according to instructions and photos posted by Gunner 620 and Deersako. Thanks to both!

Here's a photo of the chamber face on my P72.
    Chamber Burr P72.JPG

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll take a "shot"....

How about a previous owner prying cases(overloaded) out of the chamber with a screwdriver.........or jack-handle!! :)

Do I see some small damage around the forward end of the ejection port?

What might I win??? :)

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Could be - but how dumb is that, when there are such things as cleaning rods, or dowels, or just plain steel rods available? Of course, I've seen worse - don't get me started.
    Hard to tell, but it looks more to me like just some rough edges that weren't fully machined.
    A standing ovation from an adoring audience! But, of course, in the time of COVID the spectators are all cardboard cutouts and the applause is a recording. C'est la vie. :cool:

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I second Kevin's hypothesis. Bubba tried to load it to .220 Swift velocities, then, since he had never owned a cleaning rod in this life, went about removing the melted case with a cold chisel.

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas

Dang.........sorry......I can NOT get this quote thing right! :(

6. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I can also see that bubba over-tightened the screws as well. We have already had a discussion on that subject so I'm not going to harp on the subject.

rick

7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks like he used a screwdriver from the hardware store instead of a parallel-ground blade. I could clean up those slots, but since they are normally hidden under the scope rings I haven't bothered. I'll take care of that if I decide to keep the gun. I can't imagine why he would have taken them off anyway; those are factory bases and the gun does not have open sights.